• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac for already compensated phase speakers ?

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
Hi folk,
I will soon receive a pair of PSI Audio A23m which are phase compensated and have a flat frequency response.
I know a acoustic treatment is a better option but more difficult for my living room.
Does some of you tried Dirac Live with these kinds of speakers ? Does it work well ?

The others part of the chain are:
- Sonos Port (fixed volume = bit perfect)
- RME ADI-2

Thank you in advance
Gabriel

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will work absolutely great. Your speaker choice is phase corrected in an anechoic environment and as such you will likely still have phase distortion at the listening position, obviously depending on where you are listening. This is due to the room and reflections. Dirac can help to improve on these phase anomalies at the listening position. Notwithstanding the main and number one function of Dirac or any room correction product and that is the correction of frequency response at the listening position due to room gain effects below the rooms Schroeder frequency.

Or in other words, if you listened to your new speakers in an anechoic chamber (a good one, down to 20hz), only then would you likely not get any improvement from Dirac or similar software. All your phase corrected speakers are doing are making Diracs job easier, well no that's incorrect wording because its software, more like you are giving Dirac a "blanker" canvas to start with, less phase mess to try and correct.

IMO, one reason they phase correct studio monitors is because they are typically listened to in nearfield, like say on a mixing desk, placed in the center of a large sound treated studio. Here is where you could more likely hear a difference between phase corrected and non-phase corrected speakers, where the early reflections are much further away, due to you being much closer to the speakers.

Last edited:

james57

Hi folk,
I will soon receive a pair of PSI Audio A23m which are phase compensated and have a flat frequency response.
I know a acoustic treatment is a better option but more difficult for my living room.
Does some of your tried Dirac Live with these kinds of speakers ? Does it work well ?

The others part of the chain are:
- Sonos Port (fixed volume = bit perfect)
- RME ADI-2

Thank you in advance
Gabriel
I like where you are going with this :) fyi I am about to pull the trigger on the same monitors. This is also one question I had, although electronic room correction is only down the road for me, I was able to do some accoustic pannels, I will see where this brings me.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On second glance, I’m not sure those monitors are phase corrected in the sense that the group delay is flat between drivers, usually by the use of all pass filters or FIR filters. Because they do not contain DSP. There will always be phase wrap at the driver crossover points. They may be phase correct relative to their crossover choices.

No one (as far as I know) is able to ABX the difference between a conventional LR4 crossover (at say 2-3khz) and a LR4 crossover of the same frequency with an inverse all pass filter applied to flatten the phase response and remove the phase wrap of the LR4.

Also, as far as I know, an inverse allpass filter is unable to be done in the analogue domain. I could be wrong where active speakers are the subject.

Last edited:

james57

Finally pulled the trigger on a pair of a23m, should be able to enjoy them before xmas if everything goes as planned. Now the waiting starts, yikes :(

Top Bottom