• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac > Audyssey XT32 ... Sure, Always?

QMuse

Major Contributor
My (probably totally wrong) assumption is based upon the fact that there are 25ms delay between "pulses" in a 40hz sound, no matter if is wrapped in a 44… 48... or 96khz .. signal. Hence, a 3ms delay isn't close enough to fully "detect" that frequency incoming in FIR which "memory" is limited to number of taps.

I think I need to read more about it ...

Yep, wrong assumption. Filters that you will create are being processed by convoltion engine. Think of it as additional signal processing box you have inserted in a signal chain causing delay of the whole signal. With stereo music reproduction this has no particular importance but if this audio signal would be accompanied with video than you will have lipsync issues as audio will be delayed.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
With 3ms delay and a 192khz signal, if I'm not wrong, the number of taps should be 1024… but with such delay frequencies below 300hz couldn't be fixed with linear phase filters... Could you please test the delay with 96khz and 48khz?

I'd be happy to. The confounder is, of course, that Dirac cannot be used as a standalone, so if the amp containing it is resampling (I don't know if it does), changing the data rate of the input signal will likely have no effect.

OP
G

Gedeon

Forum Donor
A last question (for today) about taps and sampling rates

Let's say we have the same/algorithm engine to design a FIR filter to be used mainly for 48khz sources, using the same set of measurements.

Which could be better (theorycaly) better/more precise ?
- 512 taps without resampling (48khz)?
- 1024 taps resampling to 192khz ?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'd be happy to. The confounder is, of course, that Dirac cannot be used as a standalone, so if the amp containing it is resampling (I don't know if it does), changing the data rate of the input signal will likely have no effect.

One more potential confounder- I put the amp on my test bench today and it seems to have about a 50ms delay irrespective of what Dirac or other DSP settings are chosen, as well as whether analog or digital inputs are used. This was a bit unexpected, and I'm digging in to see what that's all about...

The 3ms difference between Dirac on and Dirac off also persists.

QMuse

Major Contributor
One more potential confounder- I put the amp on my test bench today and it seems to have about a 50ms delay irrespective of what Dirac or other DSP settings are chosen, as well as whether analog or digital inputs are used. This was a bit unexpected, and I'm digging in to see what that's all about...

The 3ms difference between Dirac on and Dirac off also persists.

The fact that there is a 50ms delay with analog inputs may lead to theory that the signal path between analog input and amp output is not fully analog.. :)

Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The fact that there is a 50ms delay with analog inputs may lead to theory that the signal path between analog input and amp output is not fully analog.. :)

Ya think? :D

See, this is why negative feedback can't work!

QMuse

Major Contributor
Yes sir, methinks. :D

Eh, now you want negative feedback and digital gizmos, but you can't have both, can you?

Reactions: SIY

QMuse

Major Contributor
Ya think? :D

See, this is why negative feedback can't work!

Btw, as you are good with these things I was wondering if you can help me with the question I asked here?

I don't understand how preamp withinput sensitivity of 0.2V and output level of 1.2V handles input signal 0.7V and 2.0V.

OP
G

Gedeon

Forum Donor
Bumping this thread because I'm started to think, after more readings, that Dirac tries to deal with phase issues related with each speaker independently.

However those issues may appear if your speakers are too close to walls/hard surfaces or their design/cabinet isn't very good with filters/resonances/... their directivity/room position isn't near to be optimal, etc... Obviously difficult/small rooms could also benefit more from Dirac approach than Audyssey due to reflections.

What do you think ?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bumping this thread because I'm started to think, after more readings, that Dirac tries to deal with phase issues related with each speaker independently.

However those issues may appear if your speakers are too close to walls/hard surfaces or their design/cabinet isn't very good with filters/resonances/... their directivity/room position isn't near to be optimal, etc... Obviously difficult/small rooms could also benefit more from Dirac approach than Audyssey due to reflections.

What do you think ?

Do you know for sure Audyssey does not do that independently too? It is an interesting point to me as I think it should be, better be unless they have good reasons not to. I can always ask Audyssey, it seems that they do response to questions quickly.

On another note, the mention of negative feedback "can't work" puzzles me.

OP
G

Gedeon

Forum Donor
Do you know for sure Audyssey does not do that independently too? It is an interesting point to me as I think it should be, better be unless they have good reasons not to. I can always ask Audyssey, it seems that they do response to questions quickly.

On another note, the mention of negative feedback "can't work" puzzles me.

Maybe It does, maybe It doesn't. Just trying to guess which truly Dirac adds.

A phase issue could be detected and partially fixed with group delay techniques and IIR filters if I'm nota wrong.

It could also explain why some users in certain rooms with certain speakers don't hear great differences between Audyssey XT32 and Dirac, while other ones do hear certain improvements, mainly in "clarity".

We also must remind that Dirac started with car-eq algorithms with big brands. In such "rooms" reflections and phase issues are really hard to deal with. On the other hand, small phase issues seem really difficult to perceive. So with "good" rooms and speakers, Dirac improvements could be less useful.

But just guessing.

Putter

Forum Donor

A phase issue could be detected and partially fixed with group delay techniques and IIR filters if I'm nota wrong.

It could also explain why some users in certain rooms with certain speakers don't hear great differences between Audyssey XT32 and Dirac, while other ones do hear certain improvements, mainly in "clarity".

We also must remind that Dirac started with car-eq algorithms with big brands. In such "rooms" reflections and phase issues are really hard to deal with. On the other hand, small phase issues seem really difficult to perceive. So with "good" rooms and speakers, Dirac improvements could be less useful.

But just guessing.

But just guessing.

I would think that Audyssey does check for phase. Otherwise I wouldn't get those annoying messages to check the wiring to my speakers. Yes they could be useful, but I'm more careful than that.

OP
G

Gedeon

Forum Donor
I would think that Audyssey does check for phase. Otherwise I wouldn't get those annoying messages to check the wiring to my speakers. Yes they could be useful, but I'm more careful than that.
Audyssey checks phase inversion between different speakers (and usually doesn't do It very well). As far as I know Audyssey doesn't try to fix "resonances/crossover" and similar issues applying intra-channel/speaker delays, but reducing amplitude for a frequency range.

I'm pretty curious about if Dirac tries to solve those.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
With regards to Audyssey EQing "flat": Audyssey by default enables Dynamic EQ, which means they also likely have created target curves that assumes you will do that. And then the end result is not flat, but a nice downwards sloping curve - with a full sound.

So disabling Dynamic EQ and the complaining that the curve is too flat, is more of a user error / misunderstanding of how this works.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only real complaint with Audyssey XT32 is the default reference and flat curves. If you simply run Audyssey in a Next/Next "wizard" like function, it doesn't sound good. Audisssey's belief appears to be flat frequency response is the desired goal. This belief is flawed as people prefer a downward sloping curve. It basically sounds both bright and no base at the same time. If they would add a better downward sloping default curve (like a harmon type curve) it would make things much easier. My favorite instructions for getting Audyssey to produce good results is via this" https://docs.google.com/file/d/1YH_eNHRCxKFCwXMddi28kzXqnUwYHfrD/edit?filetype=msword

Al least I have had good results with it.
They need to update the post links to account for the new AVS forum software.

Flak

Industry Insider
In my admittedly biased opinion, this video explains the difference between Dirac Live and other solutions,
it doesn't cover Dirac Live Bass Control though as it wasn't generally available at that time:

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With 3ms delay and a 192khz signal, if I'm not wrong, the number of taps should be 1024… but with such delay frequencies below 300hz couldn't be fixed with linear phase filters... Could you please test the delay with 96khz and 48khz?

Wouldn't it be better a 512 taps for 48khz to correct lower frequencies than 1024 for 192khz?

I apologise, maybe there are things I understand badly. Any help will be very much appreciated.

I think Audysey downsamples the subs. In that way they can correct also down low with a low number of taps.

luft262

Does Audessey MultiEQ XT offer manual PEQ settings? Is there any AVR system that allows you to manually go in and set PEQ levels where you want after taking REW measurements?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom