• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIRAC AND ROOM TREATMENT

OP
G

Georgeadv

My room is not open, but it is small (3.5 m by 5.3 m) so lots of bass issues, but much better after added basstraps and room EQ. What the walls/floor/ceiling are made of have a big impact on fr response and mine have different materials.

Just by moving the speakers and subwoofers I could improve the response quite a bit, and REW was very helpful here. There is a deep null centred at 28 Hz that is difficult to remove by bass traps (needs much more of them, and they must be real thick), moving the MLP or adding more subwoofers. Mostly it's about moving the MLP, which I can't.

The first graph is without eq and the second with?

This is a Dirac thread but just to show my response with the room EQ I use. There is an issue with front right speaker that is related to my two subwoofers, and it is something I'm going to work on. The LR response looks better and most (?) bass is summed to mono from about 120 Hz or less.

View attachment 133018

View attachment 133019

Trell

Major Contributor
The first graph is without eq and the second with?

Both graphs are with EQ, and I separated them into two graphs for readability. Below are some graphs before EQ is applied.

1622530140977.png

1622529987134.png

1622530286229.png

1622530063568.png

Trell

Major Contributor
Abdo, the active speakers with automatic dsp, do adjust for the room? For example ls50wireless etc…

Or is it merely to help distortion?

The smoothing @abdo talked about is the smoothing of the measurements I did in REW. I believe that you have used variable smoothing in some of your graphs.

OP
G

Georgeadv

The smoothing @abdo talked about is the smoothing of the measurements I did in REW. I believe that you have used variable smoothing in some of your graphs.

Yes, the question is separate from the measurements.
Its a general question

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes, the question is separate from the measurements.
Its a general question

Ah, I misunderstood. This is just an implementation detail where the correction is done. A room EQ like Dirac or Audyssey will apply the corrections centrally for each speaker/subwoofer before the signal is sent to them. Each Genelec SAM enabled speakers/subwoofers do it themselves (distributed, so to say), and that is quite handy for me on the desktop as I don't need another external box to do the corrections.

hemiutut

Hello guys,

I have ls50 meta paired with Hegel h190.

my room is open on the right side and the speakers do not sound as good.(I attach a photo)

The bass in certain frequencies is boomy and the treble can be fatiguing. The center image is good but not very precise.

I received advise from GIK acoustics (UK) to place 2 corner tri traps (on back corners) and get 3 diffusers/absorbers for the back wall again.

The price is rather high but i dont know if this will work - have no prior experience with treatment.

looking into this I found Dirac. could i use that rather than go full treatment or would it alter - reduce the quality of the sound? ( I see that eq software is mainly used for home cinema and not for stereo)

Also can i use dirac on my mac using to stream music to the hegel via audirvana?

I dont have a lot of experience in hifi and your advice would be really helpful :)

View attachment 121776
Hello Georgeadv
Can you explain how is the room as of today with the acoustic treatment ?

Can you provide measurements as of today ?

Written with translator

Greetings

Top Bottom