• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dipole speakers

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to finalize my home theater setup. With my sub to be delivered tomorrow all i need is to finalize the decision on which rear surround speakers to get. Because of my room limitations, they have to be less than 11.5" in height (wall mounted, no in-wall). Additionally, they must be passive (all you genelec fanbois please don't post a suggestion to rebuild my room to accommodate your bias :)). Because of those constraints, it really limits the number and quality of speakers at my disposal. In my search, i have found a few pair of bipole speakers that I originally did not consider. Is there any inherent value in bipole as rear surrounds and under what conditions are they better than std bookshelf options.
Considering its less than 10% of the sound going through the rears I am leaning towards not making this a big deal and taking the best deal i can find.
Input anyone?

Last edited:
OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use bipole surrounds. I don’t see the use case for dipole surrounds.
are yours less than 12" high? if so, what make/model are you using?

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
I am trying to finalize my home theater setup. With my sub to be delivered tomorrow all i need is to finalize the decision on which rear surround speakers to get. Because of my room limitations, they have to be less than 11.5" in height (wall mounted, no in-wall). Additionally, they must be passive (all you genelec fanbois please don't post a suggestion to rebuild my room to accommodate your bias :)). Because of those constraints, it really limits the number and quality of speakers at my disposal. In my search, i have found a few pair of bipole speakers that I originally did not consider. Is there any inherent value in bipole as rear surrounds and under what conditions are they better than std bookshelf options.
Considering its less than 10% of the sound going through the rears I am leaning towards not making this a big deal and taking the best deal i can find.
Input anyone?
Kef r8a would work. Coaxial drivers have a better vertical response. For elevated surround duties and that you are having size constraints those will fit the bill.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kef r8a would work. Coaxial drivers have a better vertical response. For elevated surround duties and that you are having size constraints those will fit the bill.
Great. i wasnt even looking at those types of speakers as i assumed they had to be used as atmos, pointing up. That opened up a ton more options, thanks

Top Bottom