• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it the same left and right?

It looks narrow, I'd ignore it.

Haint

I'm by no means an expert, but a couple ideas to try. First move your measurement position ~1' to the left or right OR 1' forward and back and see if the the dip goes away or significantly diminishes. Also see what happens as you move the speakers closer to the wall, further from the wall, and in different horizontal directions. The results might give an indication of whether it's modal or SBIR and someone more knowledgeable than me might can help you out.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very hard to fill those in electronically with EQ, I know from experience. EQ fails at such cancellation nodes. I have found that different speaker designs have dramatically different room nodes, while basic forward-firing boxes all do about the same thing in my listening room (for example, horrendous peak at 79hz which was unpleasant sounding but which could be tamed with EQ). That 79hz peak just went away when I went to an upward-firing woofer (Linkwitz LXmini), but then I got some cancellations elsewhere. Since you have a 130hz problem, about all you can do is make small adjustments to speaker position and listening position and try to create one sweet spot that's reliably smoother.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably the room. As above, if narrow, ignore it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

If the sub has a continuously variable phase control, it can often address issues like this that appear between the crossover frequency and an octave above or below. Worth a shot.

As others have indicated, it ultimately might not be that big of a deal. My current situation disallows optimal sub placement and for the first time ever I have a null like that. I honestly have not been able to hear it, even with my favorite reference track that features a bass line that runs up and down two full octaves.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First move your measurement position ~1' to the left or right OR 1' forward and back and see if the the dip goes away or significantly diminishes.
Or try the moving mic method, which does something similar.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Firstly get some measures in more than one position.

You'll not fix one that deep with EQ. The suggestion about phase on the sub is a good one to try altering. Or alter the position of the subwoofer.
Your room with the open corners would be difficult to model effectively. So it will be grunt work moving things.

I'd suggest moving the sub in front of the cabinet and dead center between the speakers and re-measure. See what that does to the dip.

Also worth asking where you have the sub crossed over. Maybe it isn't much of the picture at 130 hz.

I'd also try moving the speakers forward a foot and closer together to see what happens. Just as an experiment to figure out where the dip is coming from.

Finally this is in the range it could be a ceiling or floor bounce cancellation.

Sorry for the scattershot suggestions.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Are you using just one sub? If so I think what I would do at this point is try a second sub, so you’re using two subs. FWIW. :)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
130Hz indicates a 1.3m half wavelength (2.6m full path length).

343mps/130hz= ~2.6m (λ = C/f)

Usually indicates a cancellation from a wall bounce. Might be side walls, might be back wall.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if your satellites and sub are running 180 degrees out of phase with each other? If your sub doesn't offer some sort of phase control, you could simply invert phase to the satellites and see if your measurements change significantly.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Could be SPIR if the speakers are exactly 65 cm (1/4 wavelengt) from the front wall.

Could also be an addition of cancelations. What happens if you move the mic 30cm closer to the back wall or closer to the front wall?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have a similar dip at 48Hz, when both speakers are playing, that is not present when a single speaker is speaking.

It occurs all across the couch (left and right), so moving a little doesn't help. I don't want to move the couch forward or backwards, which would help (though might reveal some other "problem".

The waves, in this asymmetrical at the rear room, become 180 degrees out of phase at the listening position around that frequency.

My experimental solution at the moment, is to notch out 48Hz on one channel, and boost 48Hz a little on the other channel. Eliminate the interfering wave. Sound isn't "localizable" at that frequency, so there is no sensation of it being unbalanced from left to right.

Green - Left
Black - right (notched at 50Hz)
Red - Both speakers

1583738570037.png

The problem:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ass-using-subwoofers.11034/page-3#post-311087

Last edited:

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Gotta say, it's still better than this measurement without DSP. This room is vicious.
Your room likely is not more vicious than all our room. Trust me. We all have problems. My current problem is at 30hz. You would need to experiment with speaker and couch positions and the sound response will change dramatically. The problem is that the speaker do not sound best where they look best or where the wife would like to have it.
I still think the main reason is SBIR (a good read http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/ ) which wound mean you have to pull the speaker further away from the wall to move the DIP in the range of the subwoofers. That could work.

Also consider that 130hz or 2.6 m wavelength is likely the height of your room. Thus, there is a standing wave that has a null at exactly the half room height.

A800

Despite all efforts I still got a dip at 90 Hz.
So what?
Life goes on...

Top Bottom