• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Diminishing returns (best bang for the buck)

qsl

Hello friends. Long time listener, first time caller.

After coming to the unkind realization that my current DAC is unsuitable to convert FLACs ripped from CDs (I am about a decade behind), I am in the market for one specifically as the source for full range speaker setup (most likely connected to a passive pre-amp but driving amps directly is a possibility).

Requirements are xlr outputs (so it plays nice with what I currently have) with an excellent output stage (I tend to be prejudiced against op amps, but that may just be unfamiliarity with the newest ones). A degree of future-proofing would be nice so a decade from now when I get around to hi-res files, it is still viable.

My mindset is towards buy once and not have to think about it again (long term durability is a given) with preference towards detail and soundstage (hearing through the music as it were).

From what I've read, I am currently leaning towards the Gustard X16 but wondering if there are any others I might be overlooking (I'm not opposed to buying used).

I'm also not opposed to spending more, but would like extra spent readily apparent in the sound or durability.

So what say you? Is the X16 the current best value proposition? Is the Topping D90se worth nearly twice the price (better features, more robust, or maybe noticeable sound improvement)? Are there even less costly DACs that fit the bill? Anything else I'm not considering in my calculations?

Thanks in advance.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After coming to the unkind realization that my current DAC is unsuitable to convert FLACs ripped from CDs (I am about a decade behind), I am in the market for one specifically as the source for full range speaker setup (most likely connected to a passive pre-amp but driving amps directly is a possibility).
Is your source a PC? Because I'm thinking that there's no advantage in trying to bitstream FLAC to your DAC, as opposed to having the PC convert it to PCM, which any ole DAC can handle.

OP
Q

qsl

Is your source a PC? Because I'm thinking that there's no advantage in trying to bitstream FLAC to your DAC, as opposed to having the PC convert it to PCM, which any ole DAC can handle.

Yup. PC based, but I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression the output is DSD from FLACs.

What is the signal path from FLAC to DAC (how do I convert to PCM)?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I can't make a specific recommendation...

What is the signal path from FLAC to DAC (how do I convert to PCM)?
Your player-software does that (assuming it supports FLAC). The software & drivers will also up-sample & down-sample to match the DAC. So, you can play a 24-bit file on a 16-bit soundcard, etc.

A stand-alone DAC rarely has any "decoding" ability. Some AVRs can decode FLAC, and of course they can decode all of the common DVD & Blu-Ray surround formats.

After coming to the unkind realization that my current DAC is unsuitable to convert FLACs ripped from CDs (I am about a decade behind),
Is there something wrong with the sound? If so, what? If you aren't hearing noise you probably can't get an "improvement" in the sound.

I tend to be prejudiced against op amps,
You shouldn't care what's inside the box... It's the performance & specs that count! There's nothing inherently wrong with op-amps... Mostly they make building a good preamp/circuit cheap & easy! ;) And DAC doesn't really need much (if any) actual amplification so the op-amp (if there is one) doesn't have to "do much". (The op-amp used in a microphone preamp is more critical, where you have a weak signal and high amplification.)

OP
Q

qsl

Your player-software does that (assuming it supports FLAC). The software & drivers will also up-sample & down-sample to match the DAC. So, you can play a 24-bit file on a 16-bit soundcard, etc.

Fair enough, but I would still need a PC to digital xlr interface (soundcards with balanced digital outputs are a rare bird and approximately in the same cost category).
You shouldn't care what's inside the box...

Agreed, but what's inside the box needs to play nice with everything outside of the box. My take on early op amps was hit or miss with interfacing with older gear.

Top Bottom