• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital XLR outputs - list of streamers or computer interfaces with AES/EBU

73hadd

Forum Donor
Looking to create or find a list of devices that have AES/EBU digital output.

Preferably a combo-streamer box (includes a DAC), but would consider other options:

Streamers w/DAC:

Cambridge Audio Azur 851N $1500. discontinued?!?
Bel Canto e Stream - $1,595.00

Streamers no DAC:

Lumin U1 mini - $2,100
Cocktail Audio x50, x45 - $1,999.00 (x50)
Simaudio Mind2 - Starting at :$ 1,950 USD
Minidsp SHD Studio - $949

DAC no Streamer:

RME ADI-2 Pro

Computer interfaces:

????

Other:

Convert any device with HDMI output (disc player, streamer) to AES/EBU with the AudioPraise VanityPro https://audiopraise.com/projects/internal/vanitypro/.

PI2AES - Pro Audio Shield for Raspberry pi 4

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP

73hadd

Forum Donor
OP

73hadd

Forum Donor
Lumin U1 mini - $2,100
Bel Canto e Stream - $1,595.00
Cocktail Audio x50, x45 - $1,999.00 (x50)
Simaudio Mind2 - Starting at :$ 1,950 USD
Minidsp SHD Studio - $949

Some estimate prices in USD added inline based on preliminary search. Thanks for the list @JustJones !

Last edited:

wesslen

Looking for digital output to something like BSS BLU devices or anything like Genelec monitors that accept digital inputs.
SPDIF output is lower voltage and not designed for long runs. Adapters are available, but not ideal.

Thanks!

If you need cable runs longer than 10m or use old, low quality equipment on the AES end then there may be some issues, but in practice there's nothing to worry about.

I use a cheapo Toslink-to-coax-SPDIF converter from Amazon into a passive coax-to-XLR cable into my Genelec 8331 and it works absolutely perfectly.

As always, the benefit of digital is the signal either gets through perfectly or not at all; there's no "not ideal" - it either works or not. This works.

3125b

Major Contributor
RME ADI-2 Pro FS has AES, DAC, ADC, two headphone amps and DSP. No streaming capability though, but that could be added via USB or Toslink.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a Raspberry pi 4 AES3

garbulky

Major Contributor
Computer interfacesL
I have been on a quest to find dedicated PC-audio transport cards with AES that do so from the PC (no DACs). Only ones I've found is Musiland Digital Times which offers BNC optical and COAX SPDIF outputs. BNC is a balanaced signal. Anyway this card is no longer made. It was about $70 or 80

The other is Pink Faun SPDIF bridge which has an AES option. But it is not ideal as the AES output is not mounted into the card. It's a cable that is hanging off the card. You have to drill and a hole and mount the output on your PC case. It's about 325 euros.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Computer interfacesL
I have been on a quest to find dedicated PC-audio transport cards with AES that do so from the PC (no DACs). Only ones I've found is Musiland Digital Times which offers BNC optical and COAX SPDIF outputs. BNC is a balanaced signal. Anyway this card is no longer made. It was about $70 or 80

The other is Pink Faun SPDIF bridge which has an AES option. But it is not ideal as the AES output is not mounted into the card. It's a cable that is hanging off the card. You have to drill and a hole and mount the output on your PC case. It's about 325 euros.
Look on pro sites like Sweetwater.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
RME Fireface UCX II ($1499)
Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA ($2299)
Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 USB Interface ($439)

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I did not know. I've been seeing two different things on the internet on whether BNC is or isn't balanced.
I can be used as balanced but is rarely used that way and requires relatively non-standard internal connections. Only two wires are needed for unbalanced (+/G) and only two for balanced (+/-) but, typically balanced also uses a 3rd (G) wire. So, as two-conductor connectors, BNC and RCA can be used for balanced connections; it depends on how the wires and the components are configured.

Top Bottom