• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital volume control on high power amp

Barry_Sound

Hi everyone, I´m looking into buying a nicely powered amp (100 Watts at 8 Ohm) in A/B design. Downside is, it has a digital volume control knob which I tend to hate. Analog knobs give me visual feedback on the volume setting, being on or off. The digital thing has no start or end and spins freely.

Are there any things to be aware off with digital control? Things that could possibly go wrong?

Thank you

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The actual control/switch can have bad connections/intermittent output. The volume IC can fail too. These are not common failures but the unless the control uses a light sensor it will fail after some time. Not so different than having a potentiometer volume control go scratchy after 10-15 years.

OP
B

Barry_Sound

The volume IC can fail too.

Would it simply stop working or go all wonky? My nightmare is a digital control going into full boost on its own. Not sure if there is a real chance for this to happen.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it simply stop working or go all wonky? My nightmare is a digital control going into full boost on its own. Not sure if there is a real chance for this to happen.
Actually full boost I have seen in the past. Sony STR-AVxxx(x) receivers where known to switch on in the middle of the night, switch between radio stations and go to full volume. It's been done already. Every single Sony receiver in that series that came in for service has had a MOD done for this issue.

Volume control ICs can become scratchy sounding and outright die a silent death.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Actually full boost I have seen in the past. Sony STR-AVxxx(x) receivers where known to switch on in the middle of the night, switch between radio stations and go to full volume. It's been done already. Every single Sony receiver in that series that came in for service has had a MOD done for this issue.

Volume control ICs can become scratchy sounding and outright die a silent death.
I wonder how well that problem (and other maintenance) can be done by a 3rd party. If I ever get a $3000 amp I don't want to worry if it'll die one day and nobody is around to fix it for some reason.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A digital encoder level control on a class AB power amp is a disaster waiting to happen. Give that implementation a very wide berth.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how well that problem (and other maintenance) can be done by a 3rd party. If I ever get a $3000 amp I don't want to worry if it'll die one day and nobody is around to fix it for some reason.
Well... With some guidance, a few hints, a bunch of tools plus a Oscope for diagnosis and confirmation a 3rd party could service it but it would be very tedious instructing them over the net. :D

OP
B

Barry_Sound

You got to be kidding :eek:

Edit: Read what this guy is posting at Sony support
"my amp also turned on very ealry this morning blasting out spotify louder than i have ever played music at" o_O
Source: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/hom...s/str-dn1080-randomly-turning-on/td-p/2470412

Katji

Major Contributor
fbb46e92-supernatural-new-photo-size.jpeg

Top Bottom