• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital to Analog audio converter - worth it?

davemackron

Hi,
I've got a Asus Z95-A montherboard with built-in optical out connection, and a Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers, was wondering if there are any benefits of using a 'digital to analog' converter to connect the two? At the moment it is connected via the standard red, orange and black, cables etc, which output 5.1

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Optical is the quietest though not the best connection for jitter (USB still trumps optical on this regard though both USB and optical jitter are inaudible based on the DAC measurements I see here). No need for the DAC if your Logitech already has one since all of the analog input will still convert to digital DAC inside the speakers

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since the Z506 are analogue there is no use doing anything. Are you satisfied with the sound? Unless you get a 5.1 DSP/DAC I can't see any benefits.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Top Bottom