• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital simulation of 'euphonic' amps in hifi

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The Topping L30 thread got somewhat sidetracked around here. There are various tube simulation plugins as VSTs, LADSPA plugins and so on that try to dproduce the 'tube amp sound' as an effect. There are hardware devices from Kemper, Fractal Audio etc. that aim to recreate the sound of an amp, speaker or both using measurements at the input and output of the device in question, somewhat similar to some room eq devices. All of these target musicians and recording engineers, not commercial hifi customers.

The VSTs etc. can be used in a hifi setting via various routes. JRiver can use them. On linux you can edit the alsa config, use Jack or PulseEffects. None of these are what I'd call 'commercial hifi' though - it's not like buying a Dirac Live box for example.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I really believe that if people would give up whatever preconceived notions they have about the "type of sound" they prefer and just put together a system that does an objectively good job of transmitting the source material to their ears in as uncolored a manner as possible (which can be achieved for a shockingly modest cost), and then just live with it for a while they'd soon come to realize all those notions they had about ultrasonics and tubey magic and all the other things they were focused on were actually just a figment of their imagination and a waste of their time and money.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've a TwinTube VST that emulates quite well and can also add saturation effect, it makes vocals pop and details apparent but this at the cost of more fatigue and eventual annoyance. It's a cool effect but I am of the opinion that the music should be mastered well already and should not need any extra layer of harmonic distortion or saturation. But I can see the appeal and am glad to have had experimented with it.

ferrellms

I have used tube simulation VSTs in the audio path in my system. Many of these are automatically created by comparing actual tube hardware output to an unmodified signal and then using digital techniques to recreate the coloration being simulated.

There are slight differences introduced by the simulation of tubes, in particular a soft, cloudy, sort of distortion that is at first pleasant but eventually irritating, to me, at least.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really believe that if people would give up whatever preconceived notions they have about the "type of sound" they prefer and just put together a system that does an objectively good job of transmitting the source material to their ears in as uncolored a manner as possible (which can be achieved for a shockingly modest cost), and then just live with it for a while they'd soon come to realize all those notions they had about ultrasonics and tubey magic and all the other things they were focused on were actually just a figment of their imagination and a waste of their time and money.
But then what would they talk about? Gain superiority in? obsess about?

OP
S

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Many of these VST tube sim plug-ins are actually used in recording studios. That's as commercial as it gets.
That's both repeating what I said in an earlier part of the post that you didn't quote, and entirely missing the distinction between pro audio and hifi as a target market.
All of these target musicians and recording engineers, not commercial hifi customers.
Some of us are happy to use 'pro audio' gear in a domestic setting, but so far as I know there isn't a 'valve amp sound box' targeting the hifi/audiophile market like the various 'room eq boxes' are. My guess is it would be a hard sell - those wanting the 'valve sound' probably wouldn't accept that DSP and resistors for the amp output could do what they wanted (unless you put some decorative but non-functional tubes in the box...)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There's another fun trick to 'simulate' a vacuum tube amplifier that you might want to try.
Get a pair of, say, 1 ohm power resistors (noninductive, if possible). Put 'em [EDIT: one of each, that is ;) ] in series with one leg of each of your amplifier's speaker level outputs (i.e., between amp and loudspeaker). Some folks actually do like to do this with certain amplifiers and loudspeakers (e.g., I've seen it 'recommended' for sealed box 'monkey coffins' like the old Original Large Advent).
https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m....e&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=vintage

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
That's both repeating what I said in an earlier part of the post that you didn't quote, and entirely missing the distinction between pro audio and hifi as a target market.

When the same algorithms make their way into consumer grade products, the distinction is irrelevant. But do continue on, not that I'll actually listen to or agree with you... ;-)

Top Bottom