• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital "preamp" solutions

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You could try to find some older MSB gear like a ADD-1 or PAD-1 which is a 24/96 ADC with AES out. I found one really cheap on eBay not long ago and this is how I route analog sources into my DAC8-Pro using USB/AES mode. Check out my guide in my signature for a way to implement your channel routing in software if you are interested.

KaLam1ty

Resurrecting this thread, as I'm also looking for some advice on this. I'd like something that ADC's a few of my analog components and also takes in a digital input, then outputs digital for a pair of Genelec 8351b's.

Specifically, the solution I'm currently looking for takes in 2 analog and 1 digital:

* 1 XLR Balanced Input (from a turntable's Phono Balanced output).
* 1 RCA Line-Level Input (from a tape deck's RCA Line output).
* 1 Digital Input (for use with a RaspberryPi, perhaps with a Pi2AES. Ideally USB is most convenient).

The only option I've come upon so far is the suggested MiniDSP SHD, which has both a XLR Balanced and RCA Line input. It also has digital input, but also the convenience of a built in streaming solution (though I am already using a RPI set-up of my own and would prefer it). I am mostly curious if there are other options out there that may not be as overkill, as I do not plan to use the analog outputs, DAC, streamer, nor Dirac functionality.

Even better is something smaller, or especially if it has AES XLR out. Though, coax like the MiniDSP is fine, as I plan to use a converter into the Genelecs.

Perhaps some multichannel interface from Arturia or RME? I'm a bit clueless about the product that fall into that category.

mike70

Nad c658 ...

but, as always, maybe you trade convenience for realibility and customer support. I mean, these "big all in one" are prone to software caveats and i hate it.

A tinker solution it's more complicated, but cheaper and you control everything. You can use an intel NUC or even a Raspberry Pi digital preamp with an audio interface as ADC and a multichannel output, a DAC or something like

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8

I'm on the same quest and i resumed what I found about it. My big (big ... big) doubt is that: nad c658 / minidsp shd or the Frankenstein made in home?
Decisions ... decisions.

KaLam1ty

Is the c658 an ADC? From what I can tell, it's more a traditional Preamp and also doesn't accept Balanced XLR in. The u-dio8 also is an all digital interface, as far as I can tell.

I'm mostly interested in something that takes both analog and digital in, then outputs as digital; per the interests of OP.

Reducing box count is one of the main reasons why I'm looking.

DWPress

Forum Donor
A miniDSP 2x8 board or 4x10 would work, phoenix terminals for balanced connections, an analog input, volume control pot and a remote. I made a preamp out of one of these boards in the past (the build is on the miniDSP forum) where I included a phono preamp board and added a switch for 3 analog inputs. Worked great but the lack of visual audio levels (and my using it as an active XO) finally drove me to an Okto Pro.

mike70

The nad c658 takes analog and digital inputs and works in the digital domain (so, has an ADC). In that way you can setup crossovers and DRC with Dirac.

I don't see a digital output, so you can't use a separated DAC.

In that way, i only know the minidsp SHD studio ... but ... things i don't like in that component:

- some complains about buggie software / customer service
- internal volumio streamer
- to use the subwoofer output you need other DAC ... so you have a DAC for stereo and other for subwoofer ... time domain problems? phase problems?

KaLam1ty

Just for clarification, I'm currently under the Genelec SAM ecosystem; hence I have no need for Dirac nor a pre analog out. They (ideally) take digital inputs, which is where I'm stuck finding solutions as I'm looking to condense as much hardware as possible.

To be frank, the concerns regarding MiniDSP's customer service is also why I'm a bit ambivalent to picking up the SHD. It is on my shortlist, but I am most curious about other options that may fit the bill.

I did stumble upon the https://www.rme-audio.de/fireface-ucx-ii.html
Anyone have any experience with RME's other interfaces? This seems like a relatively new product, but I wonder how it compares with the ADI-2 Pro. Spec-wise, the AD is not as great as the ADI-2 Pro, but obviously has more input's. The ADI-2 Pro would be perfect for me if it had one more analog input...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not use GLM + remote?

KaLam1ty

I am, though I'm not sure what that has to do with my need for an A/D and analog + digital I/O solution.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker has an analog input as well, right?

KaLam1ty

It does, but it's only 1 digital and 1 analog, which is not enough for my use case. In theory, I could use a switch with my analog side (which I did at some point). But with varying voltage outputs - again, a mix of Balanced and Line levels - it made output control quite an inconvenience.

My end goal is to condense and interface all of my analog and digital devices into one unit and simply output digital from that device.

radix

Major Contributor
My end goal is to condense and interface all of my analog and digital devices into one unit and simply output digital from that device.

I'm looking at a similar problem. I think using the RME ADI-8 DS mk 3 as the digital pre-amp solves most of the problems. I can put a streamer in and a turntable in, then link it to the miniDSP 88D for 2 ch in to 4 ch out (stereo 2.2). Those 4 ch AES output would then loop back to the RME for DAC to the amps and subs. If you have AES to your speakers, then you don't need to loop back to the RME.

I can also hookup a Tascam 3000 for digital recording of the analog input. This piece seemed impossible with the SHD line.

I think the downside to this is (a) price, and (b) the RME is pro gear and not super friendly. I'll need to think about the usability and the other users of the system in the house.

This is all based on spending too much time looking at specs and manuals, I've not tried any of this. There must be hifi digital preamps out there already.

Marc

Top Bottom