• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Output to powered Subwoofer?

JPsDeskSet

Hi all,

I have a Frankenstein system I am trying to play well with each other. I am trying to get a powered sub to connect to a Sonos Port. This port is already feeding two seperate amplifiers using RCA y-connectors. The goal is to have the sub work with either or both amplifiers. One amplifier does not have a sub-out and my powered sub does not have speaker line in.

Is there a way to connect the digital output (rca type connector) of the Sonos Port to the RCA "line-in/sub-in" inputs of the powered sub?

Alternatively, is there any concern splitting RCA output 3 ways?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Is there a way to connect the digital output (rca type connector) of the Sonos Port to the RCA "line-in/sub-in" inputs of the powered sub?

The output on the Sonos is S/PDIF, and the input on the sub is analog line-level? If that's the case, you'll need a DAC of some sort.

Not really my area of expertise, but S/PDIF transmission is much(?) higher bandwidth than analog audio, and I imagine it's more sensitive to suboptimal impedance interactions. On the other hand it's rugged enough to work with RCA cables spec'd for analog audio, so not really sure at what point it starts to fail.

OP
J

JPsDeskSet

Thanks @Killingbeans . Do you think it would be fair to assume that a DAC used solely to feed the sub doesn't need much nuance? I assume to just pull sub level detail, I won't get much reward buying a $100+ DAC, and a cheapy should do just fine...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @Killingbeans . Do you think it would be fair to assume that a DAC used solely to feed the sub doesn't need much nuance? I assume to just pull sub level detail, I won't get much reward buying a $100+ DAC, and a cheapy should do just fine...
Normally there will be no problem splitting an analogue RCA output between two inputs. To be sure you'd need to check the input impedance of each input, and the ouptut impedance of the source. You'd want the input impdeances to be much bigger than the output impedance.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all,

I have a Frankenstein system I am trying to play well with each other. I am trying to get a powered sub to connect to a Sonos Port. This port is already feeding two seperate amplifiers using RCA y-connectors. The goal is to have the sub work with either or both amplifiers. One amplifier does not have a sub-out and my powered sub does not have speaker line in.

I wouldn't have any concern with splitting your RCA output 3 ways. Just get another RCA y-splitter, connect it to your sonos port, connect your in-use y-connector to one of the ouputs and your subwoofer to the other. It's certainly cheaper than buying a dac to deal with.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Yes, just don't go too cheap. I've seen some super cheap DACs with a single power rail that causes signal clipping. But any dirt cheap brand name DAC should do.

Ahhh. I misunderstood the question. Thought you were talking about 3-way splitting the digital output :oops:

Splitting the analog RCA outputs 3-way shouldn't be a problem. Unless you connect the three breakouts to boutique gear that has super low input impedance for no reason.

Top Bottom