• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital IN Digital OUT (Toslink) Volume control pre-amp

LoveMyVeggies

Dear Members,
[Problem: CD player optical >> ??? volume control >> optical DAC XLR >> Powered Speakers] I am looking for a solution to my situation to my dedicated music listening system. I have a NAD DAC (D 1050) with USB and 2 Toslink input which is connected via XLR cables to my Yamaha HS8 powered speakers. I have been using a laptop (Mac) as my music source through the USB port. I use the Mac internal volume control. I have a superb sounding Yamaha CDX-1050 CD player that has optical Toslink output that I want to connect to my DAC using the optical link for signal (hopefully sound) purity. When I connected my CD player to my DAC my speakers played at a 120 watts... no volume control ! There is a volume controle to each of my speaker but I would like not to have to go behind my speakers each time I change sources on my DAC. The CD player has a volume control for the 1/4" headphone jack but it does not affect the digital out. Is there a devise out there that will allow me to control the volume before it goes to my DAC?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You really need a DAC that incorporates a volume control (aka DAC with pre-amp). You can get digital volume controls but such a thing is likely to come at an unrealistic cost as this hugely simple operation in the analogue domain requires considerable computing power in the digital domain.

I don't know how ‘up-market’ your present DAC happens to be, but you will find information here on DACs to suit every pocket.

Just remember that quality bears no correlation to price.

OP
L

LoveMyVeggies

Pluto, thank you for your reply. I will look into DACs with Pre-amps or even a good quality mixer like a Yamaha MG 06.
I will go and check the information on DACs. If there are other suggestions out there I'm still listening.

McFly

MiniDSP nano digi. And get a bonus DSP, which you dont have to use. Or step it up to the SHD studio and get a streamer and Dirac room correction

OP
L

LoveMyVeggies

To Pluto,
Not sure about "up-market", but the NAD D 1050 sells for $450. Working within my budget and my purist take on music, I paired the DAC with studio monitors (Yamaha HS8) as they have a very flat frequency response and their internal amp, speakers and crossover were designed to perform together.
Specs on the NAD D 1050:
  • supported sample rates for USB and coaxial inputs: 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/172.4/192kHz
  • supported sample rates for optical inputs: 32/44.1/48/88.2/96kHz
  • frequency response: 20Hz to 96kHz (±0.5 dB)
  • THD: less than 0.001%
  • signal-to-noise ratio: greater than 115 dB
I still looking for solutions. Even a DAC with volume control and XLR output for the HS8s.
Thank you.

OP
L

LoveMyVeggies

To McFly,
My CD player also has a coaxial out. I will look into the MiniDSP nano digi and see if it can be part of my sound enjoyment.
Thank you

ElNino

One option you might consider is an older model pro audio interface. All of the older MOTU units with "CueMix FX" (like the MOTU 828) can take a digital signal, do volume control in the digital domain, and output the digital signal. They can also do a variety of DSP.

Older Firewire-only units sell for peanuts, because they're being phased out -- but you don't actually need to connect to a computer to set all the settings (it's just easier), so you don't need a Firewire port or the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter . The main improvements between the 828mk1 and later units are in the analog stage, but if you're working in the digital domain it doesn't matter.

That being said, if you're doing more than 20-30dB of attenuation, you're better off doing attenuation in the analog domain.

Pluto

Forum Donor
The fact that there's an input selector (XLR/RCA) and an output selector (XLR/RCA) implies that you can put balanced in and get unbalanced out and vice versa. I wonder how they do it without transformers. Or does it have transformers? For $60???

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I have a superb sounding Yamaha CDX-1050 CD player that has optical Toslink output that I want to connect to my DAC using the optical link for signal (hopefully sound) purity.
You do realize that however 'superb' your CD player sounds from the analogue outputs, by using the digital outputs you are essentially bypassing any 'sound' it may have and will be using it simply as a transport. Any competently built CD transport with a digital output will sound the same. Bits are bits ...

You may be better served by simply ripping your CDs and continue to use your Mac to play the files - or get a small dedicated streamer with built in volume control like Daphile or one of the many Raspberry Pi based devices.

Top Bottom