• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Conversion

Kadent

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I've recently put together a project for personal enjoyment which consisted of an ESS DAC chip feeding into a few op-amps. This would then plug into my computer through the help of a TI USB controller, and then into my headphone amp or speaker amp. All good until I considered for on the go portable use.

My question is how would I go about doing this while including the following features: Limited 24/96khz for no driver usage, digital bit-perfect volume control.

Some DAC chips such as some from AKM have an onboard digital attenuator on them, which I'm not entirely sure how that would be interacted with. The goal is to be able to control volume with buttons rather than an old school potentiometer.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

gvl

Major Contributor
As far as I understand you need some sort of microcontroller and code to write to DAC chip registers. Perhaps an off the shelf solution exists or you can find something on ebay that you can integrate with your board.

Top Bottom