• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital connection path to Genelec 8330A

sp1978

I see that this forum is the only one with considerable knowledge about Genelecs, so please be patient and help a brother out. :)

I'm searching for a minimalistic, but somehow "exciting" audio system for my bedroom. I am considering the Genelecs 8330A (maybe 8340A) with GLM kit + volume knob; the only non negotiable thing is my iPhone/iPad as a music source. Jazz, ambient, classical, acoustic.. no sub intended.

Here's the question. I'd like the setup to be digitally connected and minimalistic (aaand wallet friendly) as possible. The idea is: iPhone (AirPlay2) -> NAD CS-1 -> coax-to-AES cable -> AES cable through speaker L to speaker R. The volume control is through GLM kit.

Am I thinking right? coax/AES impedance? Am I missing something? And other reccomendations?

THANKS for your help and suggestions, inform me if it's been discused before.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
There's a difference in both signal amplitude and characteristic impedance between Coax and AES3.

Despite this, people have successfully connected a Coax source to their Genelecs' AES3 input directly and it worked just fine.

There are both active and passive converter boxes that'll convert the characteristic impedance and/or the signal amplitude.
Here's a passive converter for example: https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/accessories/aes-ebu-impedance-transformers

As for the NAD streamer, it seems to me like you could achieve the same thing for less money with a WiiM Mini or WiiM Pro.

Top Bottom