• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Cable Question

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to find a digital source to feed the Dutch 8C speakers. Until i have a slicker way, i am just going to use the coax spdif output from my streamer. Unfortunately the streamer are standard rca coax connectors while the Dutch need AES. I have found some 110ohm cables that i think will work. Can someone confirm that this cable or something similar will accomplish what i need, please?

The first link is for the speaker to speaker interconnect and the second is the streamer to speaker.
TIA
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SB22SMM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A17GJYPD0QYIUB&psc=1
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...rxm-10-premium-digital-cable-10-foot-rca-xlrm

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don’t think you could choose a more suitable cable, I think that’s the same cable I buy from Mogami, I will check.
Keith

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think you could choose a more suitable cable, I think that’s the same cable I buy from Mogami, I will check.
Keith
Thanks. Since you have the 8c's i will trust you :)

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Linus

i saw these from a previous post but i dont have bnc

RCA female to BNC male will cost you around 5$.
If you buy the Neutrik from a real store (not from internet) they can probably give you one. It’s just a different connector.

1614636768886.jpeg

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RCA female to BNC male will cost you around 5$.
If you buy the Neutrik from a real store (not from internet) they can probably give you one. It’s just a different connector.

View attachment 115704
i follow you but how does this answer my question if the two cables are what i need to solve my problem. I am either lost or really dense? are you saying i need this connector in order to use the transformer because my cable options wont work? cant i just buy the right cable with the right impedance and connectors?

Linus

I was in the same boat as you once, and I was told to use a converter. Your streamer impedance is 75 ohm (spdif) and your speakers is 110 ohm (aes). I was also told to keep the spdif part as short as possible. I went another way so I can’t tell for sure if you do need a converter.
The Mogami 110 ohm XLR is perfect for speaker to speaker.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was in the same boat as you once, and I was told to use a converter. Your streamer impedance is 75 ohm (spdif) and your speakers is 110 ohm (aes). I was also told to keep the spdif part as short as possible. I went another way so I can’t tell for sure if you do need a converter.
The Mogami 110 ohm XLR is perfect for speaker to speaker.
Thanks. That mogami is the one i felt most confidence in. I am still looking for an answer to the cable from the streamer (its actually an oppo mdplayer but also acts as a dlna renderer where i send my networked music to it) and my speaker.

Linus

In my case, I wanted to connect SPDIF out from my DAC to Genelec 83XX AES. I asked about what to do on Genelc‘s forum page and was directed to the Neutrik transformer.
Maybe try an email to the guys at D&D.
Good luck with your project. Can’t go wrong with Mogami.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I suggest you just use a normal RCA unbalanced cable from your streamer output to an XLR wired with pins 1 and 3 connected together. For normal domestic lengths, that'll work fine. S-PDIF signal levels are lower than AES-EBU, but I don't know of any AES-EBU receiver that won't lock to an S-PDIF stream. If cable runs get longer than perhaps 10m, then yes, an active S-PDIF to AES-EBU converter is sensible, but for shorter lengths, you have nothing to lose by just trying it. It'll either work, in which case you're fine, or it won't work at all, there won't be any variation of sound quality.

S.

mansr

Major Contributor
Can I suggest you just use a normal RCA unbalanced cable from your streamer output to an XLR wired with pins 1 and 3 connected together. For normal domestic lengths, that'll work fine. S-PDIF signal levels are lower than AES-EBU, but I don't know of any AES-EBU receiver that won't lock to an S-PDIF stream.
Yes, that usually works. Levels are not a problem since both S/PDIF and AES-3 have the same lower limit at the receiver (0.2 Vpp). The impedance mismatch will of course cause some signal loss, but as you say, with cable lengths of a few metres at most, it's not usually an issue.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Resurrecting this old thread to ask if anyone knows of a convenient US-based online vendor for an RCA to AES cable, preferably 1M but 2M would be okay I guess.

My understanding is that for such a short run, the impedance wouldn't be a major concern, yes?

Top Bottom