• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital bridge with DAC and headphone amp: does it exist?

Nikolas

Hello everybody,
I'm looking for the missing piece of my config and I kindly ask for your help:

My situation

Source A: a laptop with USB and HDMI
Source B: a TV with 4 HDMIs (one supporting eARC)

--- single missing piece ---

Out 1: headphones with 3.5 mm TRRS jack
Out 2: active loudspeakers with digital coaxial in

I clearly want to use any combination of source and out, so the missing piece should have (at least) both USB and optical input, and (at least) both a digital coax out as well as an integrated DAC feeding an headphone amp (losing the mic function of the headphones is acceptable, but bonus point if I can keep it). Huge huge plus if it ships with a remote too.
There's one device which, I'm basically totally sure, ticks all the boxes, and it is the miniDSP SHD Studio. However I'd like to know if there are other possibilities, mostly because I'm not completely sure I want or need to factor room correction in my setup, and this takes up a good part of the SHD value (aka €€€s).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for the missing piece of my config and I kindly ask for your help:

My situation

Source A: a laptop with USB and HDMI
Source B: a TV with 4 HDMIs (one supporting eARC)

--- single missing piece ---

Out 1: headphones with 3.5 mm TRRS jack
Out 2: active loudspeakers with digital coaxial in

I clearly want to use any combination of source and out, so the missing piece should have (at least) both USB and optical input, and (at least) both a digital coax out as well as an integrated DAC feeding an headphone amp (losing the mic function of the headphones is acceptable, but bonus point if I can keep it). Huge huge plus if it ships with a remote too.
There's one device which, I'm basically totally sure, ticks all the boxes, and it is the miniDSP SHD Studio. However I'd like to know if there are other possibilities, mostly because I'm not completely sure I want or need to factor room correction in my setup, and this takes up a good part of the SHD value (aka €€€s).

So the TV has optical out into the missing piece? Or HDMI?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can choose any. I'd prefer optical because going with HDMI I think the possibilities are far less.

Looks like @Patrick1958 nailed the brief, above then. Just take care when looking at the specs that the digital outputs work for all inputs. I've had a dac recently where the digi coax out only works for the USB input.

No Idea what the topping does.

OP
N

Nikolas

Looks like @Patrick1958 nailed the brief, above then. Just take care when looking at the specs that the digital outputs work for all inputs. I've had a dac recently where the digi coax out only works for the USB input.

No Idea what the topping does.
Yep, looks like the Topping does the same... gotta look for the manual.

EDIT: from the manual, COAX output (only available when there's a USB input)

Back to square one :(

Last edited:

Colonel Bogey

Too bad the Topping DX7s doesnt have a AES digital out. That would solve my integration problem - I only listen to USB sources, either using earphones or with a pair of Genelecs with digital AES inputs. I know of no box that combines USB/DAC/Headphone out with USB/AES conversion. That probably does not exist.

OP
N

Nikolas

Too bad the Topping DX7s doesnt have a AES digital out. That would solve my integration problem - I only listen to USB sources, either using earphones or with a pair of Genelecs with digital AES inputs. I know of no box that combines USB/DAC/Headphone out with USB/AES conversion. That probably does not exist.
The miniDSP SHD Studio does all that but, again, looks like overkill...

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Neutrik converter.

randy777

I'm looking for the same and also need AES digital output to a pair of Genelec 8341s. I've been looking at the minidsp SHD Studio as well and it seems the RME ADI-2 PRO FS may also tick all your boxes?

OP
N

Nikolas

It does indeed. And, pricewise, it's comparable, at 1300 €. It certainly has a bunch of pro features to compensate the lack of RC, but I wish it was just simpler and thus cheaper instead.

svenz

This is my exact use case as well. But I can't really justify spending 1000+ for an all in one device with more features than I need.

The closest thing I've found is SONCOZ LA-QXD1, which at least gives you USB to a headphone amp via XLR analogue, as well as coax out to the speakers. All for $200. Then a cheapy tendak $16 optical<->coax converter is what I have for connecting the TV output directly to the speakers, but it requires me to manually swap the coax from DAC to tendak which is a huge pain. But not as painful as spending 1000+ to combine a $16 and $200 unit into one :).

Hopefully one day we get an affordable dac with full digital passthrough... the dream.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my exact use case as well. But I can't really justify spending 1000+ for an all in one device with more features than I need.

The closest thing I've found is SONCOZ LA-QXD1, which at least gives you USB to a headphone amp via XLR analogue, as well as coax out to the speakers. All for $200. Then a cheapy tendak $16 optical<->coax converter is what I have for connecting the TV output directly to the speakers, but it requires me to manually swap the coax from DAC to tendak which is a huge pain. But not as painful as spending 1000+ to combine a $16 and $200 unit into one :).

Hopefully one day we get an affordable dac with full digital passthrough... the dream.

Does the Topping D10S not do the same, albeit with RCA out to amp rather than XLR- coax and optical outputs from USB input.

svenz

Yes Topping D10 is a great device. I need optical in though for my headphones from the TV otherwise I'd just use the Topping probably.

Top Bottom