• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Back For Film SLRs

Wombat

Master Contributor

derp1n

What a disaster. Kickstarter is a great way to fund stupid ideas.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I wish a nicely done internal solution was available for my old Canon film camera. Then again, would I really use it as much as my Canon DSLR? No. I just like the old tactile feel of things with the film based Canon.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I remember thinking of a CCD back years ago when I was removing my Canon date-back for my EOS-600, but realised it's pretty much an entire new digital camera attached that is required to make it work.

All the old camera really becomes is an unwieldy mount for the lenses. You'd be burning two sets of batteries, the old 2CR5s etc and the Li-Ions in the 'back'.

I guess you'll be wanting a nice high-tech new flash like this to go with that setup mate? ;)

wombats flashgun.JPG

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hasselblad did that many years ago for their cameras (still do, I believe). I have seen several attempts by companies to retrofit various imagers (usually CCD or CMOS, mostly the latter these days) but am not sure any really worked out well. B&H Photo probably has a selection. But that idea was much more popular when digital first came out; now that it is mainstream (and then some) and has been for many years, I don't think there's enough of a market for retrofitting classic cameras (which are themselves wearing out).

I tend to agree with @restorer-john; whenever I have thought about doing something with one of my older cameras, I found either cheap junk (in the "affordable" for me category) or unwieldy, expensive behemoths. Lots of extra weight and more seals to let in dust and moisture. I think the market just is not there for the inexpensive quality replacement back; consumers buy inexpensive digital units, and pros expensive digital units, skipping the retrofitting. Ultimately I just bought a digital camera and my old film cameras sit in their bags awaiting a museum -- or estate sale.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a Leica DMR back for my R8, worked well and nice to get digital files from R lenses. Now I use the R lenses with an adapter and an electronic viewfinder on my M10, which makes it a mirrorless full frame camera and is very good indeed, but manual focus of course.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a digital back would need to be really inexpensive for me to put one in my old Argus C3. It still works fine if I put film in it.
1537980310944.png

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hasselblad did that many years ago for their cameras (still do, I believe). I have seen several attempts by companies to retrofit various imagers (usually CCD or CMOS, mostly the latter these days) but am not sure any really worked out well. B&H Photo probably has a selection. But that idea was much more popular when digital first came out; now that it is mainstream (and then some) and has been for many years, I don't think there's enough of a market for retrofitting classic cameras (which are themselves wearing out).

I tend to agree with @restorer-john; whenever I have thought about doing something with one of my older cameras, I found either cheap junk (in the "affordable" for me category) or unwieldy, expensive behemoths. Lots of extra weight and more seals to let in dust and moisture. I think the market just is not there for the inexpensive quality replacement back; consumers buy inexpensive digital units, and pros expensive digital units, skipping the retrofitting. Ultimately I just bought a digital camera and my old film cameras sit in their bags awaiting a museum -- or estate sale.

I actually have owned several of the mentioned digital backs from Hasselblad and Phase One. The first one I had was made by Imacon, before Hasselblad acquired it. It was a cumbersome solution with an external hard disk attached to it. It was 16mp with 64mp in multi-shot mode. The result was stunning, of the standard of that period of time, of course. I remember at that time almost no digital cameras could produce sharp enough image at 100% view. There was always a kind of softness (mainly due to low-pass filter). When I viewed the first file coming from the digital back, it was really a shock. The color and details were way better than other digital cameras / DSLR. Kodak sensors really made good color.

It was quite funny that at that time, most debates were still about film vs digital. People had heated debates over and over again on whether digital images had a "film character" - almost a magical quality that impossible to describe. Pretty much like the aura of LP I suppose. And CCD was regarded as more film-like than CMOS. For a long period of time, I personally also preferred CCD to CMOS. CCD did have better color at that time (though worse ISO performance). And for the later digital backs I had already didn't need an external hard disk. There were just like a 120 film magazines. I think they were pretty good solutions. I was happy with them for fairly long period of time.

The problem really came when the resolution went beyond 50mp. I just couldn't get my Hasselblad CFV-50C CMOS back to produce sharp images handheld. Hasselblad V system is a very, very old system. It simply could'n't afford the precision needed for 50mp, also the mechanical vibration. I already had my camera body, the prism finder, focusing screens all calibrated. But it is still very difficult to have a good rate of success in sharpness.

But on the other hand, for autofocus systems, I think digital backs still work. I still like my Phase One + Hasselblad H combo. With the use of True Focus, AF works. Everything is still great. Honestly, it is much better than many so called sophisticated AF system. But I agree that to dream about attaching a digital back to old camera systems is pretty much a hopeless project. Even if the digital back can go cheap enough, the old mechanical cameras most of the time just can't catch up with the need of the digital.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I used to work for a small company that made high-speed imagers. I did not have a lot to do with them, but learned a bit along the way. One of the big things was the inverse relationship between pixel size and noise; smaller pixels generate more noise. As a result, an imager with fewer but larger pixels will often provide a better (if lower-resolution) result. The megapixel race in cameras has similarities to the sampling rate and resolution race in audio -- both go for big numbers whilst ignoring the trades, compromises, and real-world impacts.

And course another similarity to audio is the continuing debate how film has "something" digital just cannot provide -- sound familiar? Pun intended...

IME/IMO - Don

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to work for a small company that made high-speed imagers. I did not have a lot to do with them, but learned a bit along the way. One of the big things was the inverse relationship between pixel size and noise; smaller pixels generate more noise. As a result, an imager with fewer but larger pixels will often provide a better (if lower-resolution) result. The megapixel race in cameras has similarities to the sampling rate and resolution race in audio -- both go for big numbers whilst ignoring the trades, compromises, and real-world impacts.

And course another similarity to audio is the continuing debate how film has "something" digital just cannot provide -- sound familiar? Pun intended...

IME/IMO - Don
Maybe someone makes such a thing, but I've thought using modern imaging chip tech a large sensor 6 megapixel camera could do some really nice low light shots. For most purposes 6 megapixel is a large enough image.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
*imagines a sensor the size and close to the thickness of film, connected to a fake film canister that holds the necessary supporting electronics, communication via wifi/Bluetooth, battery, well, someplace.

It fits all 35mm cameras, like loading the first frame of film.

Original camera back holds it in place, etc...

derp1n

With around 140 microns to work with, you might need some Jetsons technology for that.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

IME/IMO - Don

Yes. I believe that is the case. Fat pixels produce better quality. That's why larger format cameras, even for the same resolution, still have advantage. Sadly, most consumers chase after numbers. I do wish that there is a full frame 6x6 CMOS sensor with something like 22mp. Then I can happily use my old cameras. Of course, it will only be wishful thinking.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
*imagines a sensor the size and close to the thickness of film, connected to a fake film canister that holds the necessary supporting electronics, communication via wifi/Bluetooth, battery, well, someplace.

It fits all 35mm cameras, like loading the first frame of film.

Original camera back holds it in place, etc...
Yes this is the kind of thing I have imagined. There is room inside for film canister like space on both sides. You open it and load it more or less like you did film.

dts350z

why not a used DSLR and an FD to EF adapter (if the point is to keep using your FD lenses).

Used T3i with reasonable shutter count should be maybe $300? My other hobby is astoimaging so I mostly bought astromodified (ir filter mod) for around $400.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
why not a used DSLR and an FD to EF adapter (if the point is to keep using your FD lenses).

Used T3i with reasonable shutter count should be maybe $300? My other hobby is astoimaging so I mostly bought astromodified (ir filter mod) for around $400.
A Canon T3i is what my 'good' camera is.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I recently purchased an RJ focal reducer(can't justify the Metabones one) so that I could use my Canon FD lenses on my Fuji X-T1 and X-E2. Oh for the genuine split-prism manual focus method of old, sigh.

It might be time to get into zone-focussing again. :)

Last edited:
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom