• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Audio Jitter Fundamentals Part 2

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We seem to be back at that point where everyone doubts that bits are bits, and digital is really analogue, etc. Next thing we'll be being told that expensive ethernet cable reduces jitter and is better for EMI. Because everything matters, and how can you be sure that the dielectric isn't draining the colour from the sound.

Don't lose sight of the fact that shifting bits around is *trivial*, and that the only critical bit is right at the DAC, and that can (should) be surrounded by ample isolation, shielding, power supply regulation, decoupling and so on. It just needs the bits from the outside world, entering through an airlock, to arrive before they're needed.

Don't fall for the FUD! :)

Bullshit, my video quality is better with red SATA cables than black. Of course what I said is definitely true, its your job to disprove me.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And in youtube, right click with your mouse in the video window and select "stats for nerds."

You get a display that looks like this:

View attachment 12200

You see the encoded rates (resolution/frame rate), whether video frames are dropped, and what your network speed is.

In the older versions I could tell the encoded rate but seems like they have changed it and that is no longer listed.

Netflix also has a benchmarking mode. I am not a customer so I have not played with it.
You can get to the bitrates via this tool ...
https://www.h3xed.com/blogmedia/youtube-info.php

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Let me cheer you up by mentioning that online streaming of UHD content is running around 15 megabits/sec by likes of Netflix. Yes, it is nearly one third the data rate of Blu-ray at 1080p! And they are trying to push four times the pixels? Right… Every demo of 4K streaming I have seen has been underwhelming. UHD Blu-ray should easily outperform such streaming content and by a good mile."
I've not seen 4k netflix myself, but everyone I know who has it is very happy with it, and say it looks much better than HD netflix, I'm a little sceptical given the screen sizes they have, I think the HDR part may be most important change. Do you know if they have changed over to H265 for streaming?

For myself I'm very happy with Netflix and Amazon in 1080p (around 6mbps via my bluray player apps), they are not perfect, but the price and convenience gap to bluray more than compensates.

The main paid music streaming services all offer bitrate + codecs that the vast majority of the population would describe as transparent, the tiny remaining percentage of us can pay for lossless.

Top Bottom