• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Different Speaker Cable Lengths

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This video is Terrible. It has obviously left out glaring FACTS that floor suspension and audiophile crystals can super chill the conductors and alight the phases automatically. Dr Basso Howard of the Church of Audiophile's in Seattle, WA has written numerous papers and or posts on head-fi about this and I consider the science "SETTLED". Though I applaud this video's obvious truths and hope to see him advance his audiophile knowledge to share with his followers. ;)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't watch the video--electrons move too slowly between the Internet and here.

But did he consider velocity factor? Velocity factor is a real effect, because the willingness of electrons to nudge their neighbors into activity does vary by conductor material and dialectric design.

And it actually does matter...

... (wait for it)

...at Megahertz frequencies.

Rick "important for the design of radio antennas and feed lines" Denney

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Within reason, it makes no difference. Assume one speaker cable is 10 feet long and the other 20 feet long. Electricity will travel 10 feet in 10 nanoseconds. A 10 nanosecond difference at the speed of sound is 13/100,000 of an inch. There is no way your speakers are placed exactly equidistant from your listening position to that degree of accuracy. In fact, your ears are not aligned that closely on the sides of your head!

"I strongly recommend First Run Copper..." - Pfft.

That said, I'd always get the same lengths to make it easier to resell or to use in another application.
"In fact, your ears are not aligned that closely on the sides of your head!" Guess that means we'll all need maxillofacial surgery to remedy that.

Propheticus

The humor is in the replies it gets from people taking it seriously.
Then slowly reply with increasing absurdity to see how long the discussion keeps going until the serious repliers finally notice they are being made to look a fool.

It's kind of trolling and kind of at the cost of others. Not sure if I like it... It is interesting to see though how many actually thought his video was serious and needed correcting.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are not going to achieve the time alignment precision you want without taking gravitational force into account. I always calculate gravity when designing my speaker cable runs.
Using various height cable risers, you can control the speed of the electron flow - moving from a higher elevation to a lower elevation along the flow direction will speed up the signal (downhill), causing it to arrive slightly earlier. Electrons moving uphill will be delayed slightly. This is the best way to compensate for speaker cable manufacturing tolerance and length mismatch differences.
Sorry you have it backwards. Time passes more quickly in lower gravity. Some of these new ultra precise clocks can measure height on earth by comparing the differences in time between clocks at different height.

MrPeabody

I can't tell whether he is serious or is just trying to have a laugh at other people's expense.

At the start he gave the impression that he was going to explain why moving one speaker more to the front or to the rear would not make sense, and also why it does not matter if the wires aren't the same length, at least not from the perspective of time difference. Sound travels in air at 343 meters per second, and a typical difference in the distance to one speaker vs. the other is about a meter. It follows that a typical value for the time offset for the two speakers is on the order of 1/343 second, i.e., a few thousandths of a second. By comparison, the time offset that occurs due to the speaker wires having lengths that are different by the amount shown in the video is on the order of 1/10 of a nanosecond.

No one could possibly be as confused as he makes it seem that he is. He knows that what he is saying is nonsense, and is just trying to have a little fun, or something similar to having a little fun. At about the 2 minute mark he started going off the rails, especially when he said that you should never ever use speaker wire that is not the exact same length. At the start he made it seem that he was going to explain why the idea suggested by the question didn't make sense, but then he eventually turned it into jabberwocky.

MrPeabody

The humor is in the replies it gets from people taking it seriously.
Then slowly reply with increasing absurdity to see how long the discussion keeps going until the serious repliers finally notice they are being made to look a fool.

It's kind of trolling and kind of at the cost of others. Not sure if I like it... It is interesting to see though how many actually thought his video was serious and needed correcting.

He seemed so completely sincere that lots of people took him at face value. I don't think that people who took him at face value were necessarily made to look like fools. They just were inclined to trust that someone who appeared to be very serious, was serious. I enjoy a good joke as much as the next person, but I think that this video goes too far.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
For those familiar with later Quad ESLs, which use delay lines to create a phase array spherical acoustic wave source effect from the speaker, know these are LONG coils.

Normal differences of a few feet are inconsequential.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For those familiar with later Quad ESLs, which use delay lines to create a phase array spherical acoustic wave source effect from the speaker, know these are LONG coils.

Normal differences of a few feet are inconsequential.
Do I remember correctly that they have 11 miles of wire in those coils? Which the distance isn't the delay it is a delay circuit of capacitance and coils.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Do I remember correctly that they have 11 miles of wire in those coils? Which the distance isn't the delay it is a delay circuit of capacitance and coils.
Maybe that's the total length in all the coils?

The design calls for a very small phase difference...

Visually, it seems a few hundred feet.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The proplem with ironic satire that is not marked as satire is that some people will take it for real. Not everybody is used to calculate with light speed numbers. Overall at least for me its not good humor.

Propheticus

Explaining humour does not make it funny. If you don't like it just /ignore.

He seemed so completely sincere that lots of people took him at face value. I don't think that people who took him at face value were necessarily made to look like fools. They just were inclined to trust that someone who appeared to be very serious, was serious. I enjoy a good joke as much as the next person, but I think that this video goes too far.

Well, it does take a phenomenon seen online and pulls it towards absurdity. It's akin all those Youtube 'experts' explaining why you really need a music-grade ethernet switch or wooden blocks to raise your cables. In their explanation there's often references to (pseudo)science and explanations given that to the untrained eye look plausible. They do this in all seriousness with an attitude of "trust me, I know this" and people take it at face value.
Then people on forums like this feel the need to share the video and discuss all the ways the Youtuber's wrong. And they're of course right. But it also makes no sense. The person they're criticising will not suddenly chance their story. Either because they're trying to sell a (snake oil/ridiculously over-specced) product or know controversy brings in viewers = ad income.
Of course there's a category of those that actually believe what they're telling. Call them the 'faithful'. You're not suddenly going to make them leave their faith by attacking their beliefs.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Explaining humour does not make it funny. If you don't like it just /ignore.

Well, it does take a phenomenon seen online and pulls it towards absurdity. It's akin all those Youtube 'experts' explaining why you really need a music-grade ethernet switch or wooden blocks to raise your cables. In their explanation there's often references to (pseudo)science and explanations given that to the untrained eye look plausible. They do this in all seriousness with an attitude of "trust me, I know this" and people take it at face value.
Then people on forums like this feel the need to share the video and discuss all the ways the Youtuber's wrong. And they're of course right. But it also makes no sense. The person they're criticising will not suddenly chance their story. Either because they're trying to sell a (snake oil/ridiculously over-specced) product or know controversy brings in viewers = ad income.
Of course there's a category of those that actually believe what they're telling. Call them the 'faithful'. You're not suddenly going to make them leave their faith by attacking their beliefs.

No it would make it not funny for me, but it would be interesting to understand the intention. And why this way of humor is used.

artburda

018D4366-DEE7-440C-9ADA-4011F2FFF747.jpeg

Top Bottom