• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Different" music for bored music lovers

Propheticus

Saw The Hu last year when they were on tour. Awesome show. They just released this cover as an aperitif for their 2021 release.

Interesting stuff, traditional throat singing combined with metal. Reminded me of the Marco Polo series.

The recommendation algorithm gods then led me to what can be best described as Viking Folk:
SKÁLD - Grótti (Lyric Video) - YouTube

Down the rabbit hole of "fans also like", you encounter Nordic Shamanistic Ambient music:
Heilung Krigsgaldr [Official Video] - YouTube
The videoclip is also... "different"

So thanks to this thread and you, I discovered a whole set of Viking/Nordic subgenres of music I was previously unaware of.
Rock, Chanting, Ambient.
A good way to get into the mood for playing AC:Valhalla which I coincidentally installed today...

Last edited:
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
This seems to either alienate or enthrall people when I play them it. I love the minimal bleeps that open up with the bass line. I have hazy memories of this from clubs when it came out, but never knew what it was at the time.
Easiest way to get it these days is as part of the brilliant Warp 10+2 classics compilation.
Nice, I like it.

I have a copy still of "Young Gods" from the original release and have a large collection of "industrial" collected around 1980 - 1984. The usual TG, EN, SPK and various David Tibet projects, as well as stuff like Test Dept, Controlled Bleeding, small indie groups, Japanoise, the list goes on. I wouldn't call Big Black, Flipper, DK's, etc. industrial but most employ a somewhat confrontational (to something) style. More recent stuff would include Sunn o))).

I would be disappointed if you dismissed Albert Ayler as self indulgent.

A favorite French music critic speaks.

You got the thread's message, obviously. About Ayler, I just tried some, and it's not too bad, but like most jazz, lacks aesthetic pretention beside a very Modern Relativism™ friendly "self-expression" to my ears. Basically modern art.

Maybe not different enough for you, but here's a couple of my favorite albums:

View attachment 99871
Starts to get more strange at untitled track 3.

View attachment 99872
This album is an adaptation of Biblical passages from the Book of Revelation.
I'd like to know the title for first one, cover is interesting (Looks almost like a Gong album).

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I tried my best in the OP. First one is simply quite simplistic as far as composition (melody, harmony and rhythm) goes and certainly doesn't break any grounds.

Second isn't music, it's YouTube attention whoring. There can't be anything "different" about it as there's no composition; can't even call it interpretation, as it's exactly the same thing played with a different instrument.

If you tried your best in the OP, then I'm afraid that's the problem. You start out with arbitrary, hyper-judgmental standards, you're going to get questions.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If you tried your best in the OP, then I'm afraid that's the problem. You start out with arbitrary, hyper-judgmental standards, you're going to get questions.
The mistake I made is not using the word "experimental", which would have made it probably clearer, even if the word itself is extremely vague. I clearly said "pushing the boundaries" in my OP, and a cover can't do that by definition of what a cover is. Same about "world" music, it may seem different to most of us, but not really because it's experimenting.
I don't suscribe to feelsgood relativism, so I don't really expect nor need my interactions with ordinary people to always go smoothly. Anyway, I'm not possessive about threads, you can post something if you feel like it matches.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mistake I made is not using the word "experimental", which would have made it probably clearer, even if the word itself is extremely vague. I clearly said "pushing the boundaries" in my OP, and a cover can't do that by definition of what a cover is. Same about "world" music, it may seem different to most of us, but not really because it's experimenting.
I don't suscribe to feelsgood relativism, so I don't really expect nor need my interactions with ordinary people to always go smoothly. Anyway, I'm not possessive about threads, you can post something if you feel like it matches.

But clearly you subscribe to delusional and self-serving perceptions and labels about yourself and others. Good call on not needing interactions to go smoothly, though.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Some more:

Mr. Bungle - (1995) Disco Volante
index.php

Melvins - (2002) Hostile Ambient Takeover
index.php

https://melvinsofficial.bandcamp.com/album/hostile-ambient-takeover

Attachments

• disco_volante.jpg
    disco_volante.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 655
  • hostile_ambient_takeover.jpg
    hostile_ambient_takeover.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 650

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes, for me, "different" includes transcription of a known piece for an unexpected instrument (maybe not unlike the transcription of the Philip Glass above from piano to harp)
"Different", I suppose, includes vocals from folks that gargle battery acid, but there is just something about those genres which doesn't "do it" for me.
I feel the same... So let me follow you with one suggestion for relax and refreshment in some stressful global situations.

Many famous piano teachers say "You should never play Fraincsois Couperin's Clavecin (Cembalo, Harpsichord) pieces with our piano!", but;

I especially like the piece at 19:52 "La Misterieuse".
CD: MIRARE MIR195 CD, recorded at La Ferme de Villefavard en the Limousin, France, September 2012

The CD recording quality is also just wonderful and top rank... I highly recommend you to purchase the CD; they do not release SACD...

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess I am too old and set in my aesthetic... “Blood” did nothing for me (perhaps my background as an autopsy assistant detracted). The violinist/recorder duo was fun!!

I will take credit for effort...

For those of you who care... Seek out “The Fugs” ‘Dirty Old Man’ I sang that in the ‘60s with a band named “Mary’s Grave”. Received rave reviews!

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice thread idea, I get the message and plan to listen to several exaples posted here.

Maybe some inspiration can still be found in pictures posted in my former thread (partial analogy there).

Anyway, one have to wonder @q3cpma - if you are "bored" at such a young age (let's suppose you have correct age in profile), what will you listen in your 70's (let's suppose you will live up to that age) :p

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Nice thread idea, I get the message and plan to listen to several exaples posted here.

Anyway, one have to wonder @q3cpma - if you are "bored" at such a young age (let's suppose you have correct age in profile), what will you listen in your 70's (let's suppose you will live up to that age) :p
Good question. I found that I never tire completely of "good" music, and I still have a lot of classical yet to discover.
This was pretty novel in its day and still holds up in 2021:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_Afraid_of_the_Art_of_Noise?
Looks interesting, will try.

Top Bottom