• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference in Topping D90 and D90SE

BlackH20

Forum Donor
See the top ratings for the Topping D90, then go to buy one and see mostly the D90SE, not sure what the difference the "SE" is. Purchased a Roon (soon to be shipped) which is a large change when in your mid 60's switching from 400 plus CDs to Roon, DAC. Some of the little tweaks in model names have me wondering if there are the same specs, chips, build, etc? Then I am tempted by the $200 Modius also, so I will let you gents enlighten me. At least my 1973 Accuphase has been a solid constant over all these years.

beeface

I believe they only notable difference is that the SE version is based on an ESS DAC instead of AKM, and supports MQA.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the little tweaks in model names have me wondering if there are the same specs, chips, build, etc?

Which of these things you can't find on your own? First, google hit when searching for "Topping D90 vs D90SE" yields an article that has quite a good technical comparison. Ignore the subjective impressions though.

Marth

See the top ratings for the Topping D90, then go to buy one and see mostly the D90SE, not sure what the difference the "SE" is. Purchased a Roon (soon to be shipped) which is a large change when in your mid 60's switching from 400 plus CDs to Roon, DAC. Some of the little tweaks in model names have me wondering if there are the same specs, chips, build, etc? Then I am tempted by the $200 Modius also, so I will let you gents enlighten me. At least my 1973 Accuphase has been a solid constant over all these years.
Hi! I also have a Roon Nukleus in combination with the Topping D90 MQA (no SE). I also have a device which recreates the USB Signal from scratch via galavnic decoupling and recklocking.

However even I use that device I can use the USB input on the Topping D90 anymore but the AES input. Therefore I had to choose between making the USB Signal clean OR using MQA... I can't have it booth.

Result is that I don't use MQA at all.

You can also use the Roon software to adjust the volume. There is zero audible difference between using the topping to adjust volume or do it via Roon.

You will love Roon, especially when used in combination with Tidal Hi-res... I am on a constant journey hearing so many genres. Just awesome. I once heard all Beatles songs in the correct chronological order... You will learn a lot about the influence of the actiual recording studio/engineer...

You'll love ROON and the topping D90 is a perfect match. If other DACs sound different it is because they alter the signal.. the topping D90 is neutral.

Top Bottom