• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference Denon AVR-X6700H "Updated" vs non-updated?

pat355

hi,

can someone point me to the differences between the Denon AVR-X6700H and the non-updated (I supposed original?) version?
As of which date did they change to the "updated" version?

thank you!

OP
P

pat355

Probably the same as x3700h vs x3800h, as they use the same chips, ie loosing 10db SINAD.
The change happened in Spring 2021.
the "updated 6700H" version looks like having 10db more SINAD than non-updated 6700H, not less...what am I missing? (Updated is at 100db, non-updated at 87db)
see graph below, from Amir's latest review of 3800H
Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 17.50.40.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the "updated 6700H" version looks like having 10db more SINAD than non-updated 6700H, not less...what am I missing? (Updated is at 100db, non-updated at 87db)
View attachment 242012
The first one was a faulty unit. That has nothing do with the DAC change. A unit with new DAC was never tested. But the X3800 measurement should be a good indicator.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
View attachment 242012

It is a review update, not a product update.
The first test was with a product having a faulty capacitor
The "updated" 6700 has never been reviewed here.

So a faulty original 6700 is actually as good as a new 3800, and probably same as the new 3700 and 6700.

OP
P

pat355

The first one was a faulty unit. That has nothing do with the DAC change. A unit with new DAC was never tested. But the X3800 measurement should be a good indicator.
ok, so basically stay away is the take away, thank you!

delta76

Major Contributor
if you get a good deal on x6700h, I don't think you have to "stay away". Unless you only use it for critical listening, it's still a very capable AVR for home theatre.

Archaea

It’s perhaps worrisome that this is your conclusion. Gene from Audioholics says 70dB and above SINAD will be inaudible to most people. (70 SINAD is .03% distortion). So saying to stay away because an AVR or prepro has significantly less than .03% distortion likely isn’t merited, unless you are purposely chasing inaudible improvements for the sake of the engineering aspect.

From one of Gene’s reviews.

1670751394205.png

Last edited:

rana_kirti

akm I belive is now working to full capacity.

Denon has had enough time to rectify the DAC situation. why aren't they correcting it ?

are they not aware of ASR forum? I believe Amin is regularly in touch with them in regards to product reviews.

They should immediately rectify this situation and stop this DAC discussion....!!!

What's going on here.....???

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

What's going on here is that DAC chip brand (and SINAD score for that matter) is not a selling point for Denon, and Denon refuses to be bullied into making it one.
It’s not about bullying Denon, but all these customers will have a hard time in second hand market if they choose to let go and upgrade. I wouldn’t touch any x800 series. Previous years you could sell a Denon after 2 years for quite some money where other brands were just paper weights.

Archaea

It’s not about bullying Denon, but all these customers will have a hard time in second hand market if they choose to let go and upgrade. I wouldn’t touch any x800 series. Previous years you could sell a Denon after 2 years for quite some money where other brands were just paper weights.
It’s above your hearing threshold.
Phrase “Mountain out of Molehill” comes to mind.

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

It’s above your hearing threshold.
Phrase “Mountain out of Molehill” comes to mind.
Even if that’s true and is debatable, in audio we always overcompensate; buy more power amps than we need, more inputs than we use, higher wire gauge, and an overkill number of subwoofers a room can physically handle. You get my point.

Just because you can’t drive pass 75m/h doesn’t mean you won’t get a better and faster car. Also just because humans hearing is limited, it doesn’t mean the other frequencies can not be produced inside your room. You won’t see UV or IR rays either, but they are there. To that point, I saw a person once in one of our human subject studies that could see IR rays coming from our tracking cameras like it was a club nights out! Couldn’t handle staying in our lab for more than 3 min. Not all humans are the same, and there are outliers.

Top Bottom