• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference between Apple Dongle DACs

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a few questions about the Apple dongle DACs:
Are there any differences in performance between the Lightning and USB-C version? (because Laptops can provide more power over USB C than iPhones over Lightning)

What is the difference in ouput level (in Volts) between the EU version and the non EU version?

I personally own the Lightning EU version.
If the non EU version has more output Voltage I would really like to know where I can get the non EU version from.
I primarily want a very small dongle that feeds my Topping NX7 and the Apple dongle is perfect when it comes to size.

nickdino

Have you found how to get a US version? I want the US lightning to 3.5 dongle and i live in Holland..
Or is there a better budget friendly dongle available in Europe?

DSJR

Major Contributor
I can say subjectively, the US and EU versions with USB-C 'sound' pretty much identical. OK, I have iffy ears, but they seem to 'do' bass, space and highs equally well, just that the US versions seems to go louder.

Hopefully someone can say for definite as regards the lightning version as well.

OP
juliangst

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I‘m still a bit annoyed that the EU version only has 0.5V output. Some tracks don’t get loud enough with IEMs and most lightning alternatives don’t really work.
I’ve seen that moondrop will release a new dongle with about the same form factor as the Apple dongle and I hope they’ll do a lightning version this time.

Top Bottom