• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Difference between, and which is better for a power Amplifier: TPA 3255, Infineon MA5332MS, Infineon MA 12070

Hollywood_Bob

I've been reading through this forum and the product reviews to help me decide on a smallish amplifier with about 50-80W/channel.

The ones I keep looking at are based on TPA3255, MA5332MS and MA12070.

When I look at the data sheets for these, it looks like the TPA255 was released in 2016, the MA12070 was released in 2018 and and the MA5332MS was released in 2021.

But the MA5332MS doesn't seem to be used much (SMSL A300), the MA 12070 a bit more but seems to be perceived as old, and the TPA3255 seems to be the go to one of the three (Fosi, Topping, etc.), and yet it's the oldest.

What am I missing? Which is better? Why? Isn't there a newer one from Texas Instruments to replace the 7 year old TPA3255?

Attachments

• Infineon-MA5332MS-DataSheet-v02_00-EN.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 178
  • Infineon-MA12070-DS-v01_00-EN.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • tpa3255.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 150

Entropy

On the contrary, why would TI replace a successful product that they produce at scale? I know with consumer electronics as a reference point, 7 years may seem like a lot of time, but honestly, most audio tech has been pretty good for... a long time, and things like amplifier chips don't see large single or multi-generational improvements most typically. Guessing out of the blue, I'd imagine the Ti chips are the cheapest, with the 12070s not being far behind. A small desktop-size class-d amp mostly seems to attract people on a tighter budget, so it only makes sense.

I really wouldn't sweat making the choice too much. Heck, I don't usually care what chip an amp uses. Unless the design of an amplifier is messed up or is intentionally coloured, it's likely to sound quite similar to most other amps... Ie, neutral. The sonic differences between the chips in a vacuum will probably be at absolute best, barely, and I mean barely audible, and will be far more contingent on their implementations within the actual amplifiers. As far as recommendations go, the Aiyma ao7 or Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, and SMSL a100 should be fine, while the SMSL AO100 has a larger feature set.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The chips each 'better' at different things, but for choosing an end product that's the wrong question anyway. The important part is how the designer/manufacturer has used them, so look at the end result not the bits that went into making it.

notsodeadlizard

I've been reading through this forum and the product reviews to help me decide on a smallish amplifier with about 50-80W/channel.

When I look at the data sheets for these, it looks like the TPA255 was released in 2016, the MA12070 was released in 2018 and and the MA5332MS was released in 2021.

But the MA5332MS doesn't seem to be used much (SMSL A300), the MA 12070 a bit more but seems to be perceived as old, and the TPA3255 seems to be the go to one of the three (Fosi, Topping, etc.), and yet it's the oldest.

What am I missing? Which is better? Why? Isn't there a newer one from Texas Instruments to replace the 7 year old TPA3255?
They are all de facto the same.
In a sense these are complete single-chip amplifiers.
(But you need to work hard and hard to get from them the indicators stated in the datasheet).
In a sense it's almost impossible to do anything with them in addition to what is written in the datasheet, because all the circuitry from the analog input to the filter outputs (or directly to the speakers) is rigidly fixed and hidden in the implementation.
In addition, their implementation is complicated and it is highly undesirable to do experiments with them that are available, for example, with purely analog amplifier microcircuits.
These are products to reduce the cost of large-scale production, televisions or boomboxes, for example.
With such ICes, all designers act in the same way - they use the reference design, because it guarantees both performance and the declared parameters.
This is all to the fact that choose any Chinese box on them, there will be no significant difference.
There is one “but” with all of them - you don’t need to drive them to maximum power, they all have catastrophic distortion at maximum power, this is not about 1.5% of a good A/B class amplifier, it’s about 10% and much more.

notsodeadlizard

You missed TPA3221.
But there is nothing special about it.
This is the same ordinary cheap class D, and such a graph is tolerable (this is observed in one way or another by everyone), but somehow inelegant:
1683881173285.png

However, in those areas where these ICes are used by honest manufacturers, such nuances are completely indifferent.
A cheap flat-panel TV has such speakers that no one will notice this.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s the engineering (and PCB layout) that counts and therefore you need to look at the end result (preferably some measurements of the specific amps you have in mind) and not the bits and pieces.

jooc

'''

I own the MA12070 in the SMSL DA-6 amp and the TPA3255 in the Fosi Audio BT30D Pro and also in my Aiyima A07.

I use the SMSL/MA12070 in a sunroom with a WiiM mini attached, and it's an 'always on' situation because we have an Amazon alexa echo that connects to that WiiM to play anything. As an always-on solution, that MA12070 works very well. Even cranked as loud as I want to ever have it in that room, the pot is only maybe turned about half-way and there's no audible distortion whatsoever as this site has measured- very nice, clean, inexpensive amp.

My 2 tpa3255 amps never disappoint either as everyone here knows by now about that chip. I also wonder about that Infineon MA5332MS, seems like these companies would want to start selling a lot of products with it.

This looks like a good bet: https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Digital-Germany-Infineon-Bluetooth/dp/B0B4C3LC34

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this has shades of ESS vs. AKM vs. Crystal vs. TI

there's good and less good implementations

i think at the low end everyone likes the TPA series as it has proven to be able to do the power and have good noise characteristics

at under $100 or so this is your choice

HOWEVER if you want to spend $200+ then you have more choice with Infineon but this thing exists:

OP
H

Hollywood_Bob

The link you gave indicates that:

"The TPA3255 of the A07 has a strong extruded feeling and a slightly rough masculine sound".

That does sound like an Instrument from Texas.

And it further describes the A8 with the MA12070 as having a red knob, and "a delicate, high resolution and smooth sound quality, and I feel it is a slightly feminine sound".

Maybe the San Francisco sound?

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would recommend the BRZHIFI 3255XLR. A little more expensive than the A07 but worth every penny. Quite a strong, muscular sound. I use mine with the opa2604 as I love the sound of those op amps in almost everything these days. The Muses01 is also a very good choice of op amp upgrade for this amp. The clue is in the name of the amp as far as the chip goes. I had some Belden 8402 balanced interconnects made up and run my Topping E50 in to it with the Mac Mini as the source. Not complaining at all about the sound.

OP
H

Hollywood_Bob

Thank you to everyone for your responses. It helps that everyone has expressed similar opinions.

And thanks also for the BRZHIFI recommendation. I had come across them elsewhere but then forgot about them. Very reasonably priced.

linuxfan

I own the MA12070 in the SMSL DA-6 amp
The SMSL DA-6 does not contain the MA12070, it contains the Infineon Silicon Carbide (SiC) chip. Same with the SMSL DA-9.
From SMSL's range of amplifiers, the MA12070 can be found in these models;
A12, A100, SA300, AO100, AO200.

Mosello

BRZHIFI Audio TPA3255 2.1 Channel Home Amplifier ES9018K2M
I would recommend the BRZHIFI 3255XLR. A little more expensive than the A07 but worth every penny. Quite a strong, muscular sound. I use mine with the opa2604 as I love the sound of those op amps in almost everything these days. The Muses01 is also a very good choice of op amp upgrade for this amp. The clue is in the name of the amp as far as the chip goes. I had some Belden 8402 balanced interconnects made up and run my Topping E50 in to it with the Mac Mini as the source. Not complaining at all about the sound.
Is this similar to the 3255xlr you have, I dnt need XLR input but I want the opt in.

Schlippwhip68

BRZHIFI Audio TPA3255 2.1 Channel Home Amplifier ES9018K2M

Is this similar to the 3255xlr you have, I dnt need XLR input but I want the opt in.
Not the same model but probably very good value for money at the same time and it does have a promising dac inside too. If you do get this model then maybe post your opinion here.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
wow its amazing to me how a centrally planned hyper capitalist country seems to always excrete products to serve a billion people and we always seem to get such oddballs

SMSL seem to be able to make pretty reasonable and sensibly designed units but BRZ?? this is not a company held in high regard

however this is a $200 usd unit and let see where we are...

- integrated psu TPA3225 is pretty unique

- app controlled

- bluetooth has QCA and LDAC support

- ess9018

- basic crappy dsp

- replaceable OP AMPS !!!

- i think limited to 24/192 via opt and coax

- here's the killer... PC USB support is only 16/48 given its probably routed thru the QCA bluetooth like some of these dumb BRZ things

so is this worth $200? not really when the SMSL AL200 is $230 and is a much more intelligently engineered device.

Schlippwhip68

wow its amazing to me how a centrally planned hyper capitalist country seems to always excrete products to serve a billion people and we always seem to get such oddballs

SMSL seem to be able to make pretty reasonable and sensibly designed units but BRZ?? this is not a company held in high regard

- app controlled

- ess9018

- basic crappy dsp

- here's the killer... PC USB support is only 16/48 given its probably routed thru the QCA bluetooth like some of these dumb BRZ things

so is this worth $200? not really when the SMSL AL200 is $230 and is a much more intelligently engineered device.
I would be inclined to agree but the smsl is £195 here in the UK so twice the price of the BRZHIFI and imo with an inferior chip that purports less controlled and defined low end frequencies than the 3255. I have a BRZHIFI 3255XLR that internally shows no less engineering prowess than smsl. I have had similar amps with the Infineon chips from smsl and returned them almost instantly due to the poor control over the bass. They look pretty though…while my experience with BRZHIFI has proven to be more successful and non returned products.

Mosello

- app controlled

- ess9018

- basic crappy dsp

The AL200 lacks sub-out

Top Bottom