• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did you get vaccinated for Covid-19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLub

Not enough for the whole world at once so some have to wait longer than others.
Those nations whose people have worked the hardest and been the most prosperous can afford to pay up.
I don't see a problem, thanks just life.

If you're saying: "Life's unfair", I can't argue with that. If you're saying: "If you work harder, you deserve more" then I won't argue with that. But being born into an Israeli family rather than Palestinian (or in a western family rather than an African, for that matter), cannot hardly be seen as an accomplishment of oneself, yet you do get the benefits. This is the current situation and we cannot change that overnight, but what we should do is be compassionate and help each other out; more than currently is being done.

chris719

I tested positive 2 weeks ago. I had diarrhea for 3 days, and was maybe a bit more sore after my workouts. The food poisoning I got on my last visit to China was significantly worst.

My sister gave it to me, she had diarrhea, fatigue, and muscle soreness for a week prior.

My 62 year old mother caught it too. Same symptoms as my sister, recovered in 3 days.

I'm legitimately mad at what the world made covid out to be.

And do you know that you won't or haven't suffered any long term sequelae? There have been a lot of journal papers documenting cardiomyopathy, abnormal lipid metabolism, decline in male fertility, onset of autoimmune disease, etc.

Nevermind the points everyone else already touched on. The selfishness some people display never ceases to amaze me. Even if you knew you would handle it well, simply contracting the virus and passing it on means you've endangered other lives indirectly.

Death is not the only risk here. Anyone with a serious case of this disease can come out with lifelong consequences. My friend's brother is an NYPD officer, age 43, who was hospitalized with COVID-19 and now has permanent lung and kidney damage. He's on dialysis and will never be able to work as he did again. My risk of dying is statistically very low, but I'm not worried about dying from this virus, I'm worried about my quality of life going forward.

Last edited:

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And do you know that you won't or haven't suffered any long term sequelae? There have been a lot of journal papers documenting cardiomyopathy, abnormal lipid metabolism, decline in male fertility, onset of autoimmune disease, etc.

Nevermind the points everyone else already touched on. The selfishness some people display never ceases to amaze me. Even if you knew you would handle it well, simply contracting the virus and passing it on means you've endangered other lives indirectly.

Where did I say I didn't quarantine myself until symptoms went away after confirming I had it?

The projection of the self professed morally superior never ceases to amaze me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're saying: "Life's unfair", I can't argue with that. If you're saying: "If you work harder, you deserve more" then I won't argue with that. But being born into an Israeli family rather than Palestinian (or in a western family rather than an African, for that matter), cannot hardly be seen as an accomplishment of oneself, yet you do get the benefits. This is the current situation and we cannot change that overnight, but what we should do is be compassionate and help each other out; more than currently is being done.
So what would you do, give it first to those least responsible for creating a vaccine? Altruism has its limits before it becomes a bad idea.

Would you give to those who produce the least? Or is maybe a better idea to get those who can produce more vaccine the innoculation first so they can ramp up and get even more of it made. This social justice crap is muddled thinking. Practical plans for vaccination aren't that hard, and the more practical the better a job can be done. You'll gum up the works with this other mis-guided criteria.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Where did I say I didn't quarantine myself until symptoms went away after confirming I had it?

Your last sentence was a defining and superior opinion.
face-with-medical-mask_1f637.jpg

Last edited:

chris719

I didn't say you didn't quarantine. I would assume any person transmits it, because the odds are very high that that occurs for any given person. Just because you are asymptomatic does not mean you can't spread the virus. Major transmission can occur when viral loads in the upper nares peak just before the onset of symptoms.

Maybe you didn't pass it on to anyone else, if so, that's great. Statistically speaking, that's not what usually happens. That's why your behavior before you get infected is important. You can't even necessarily control if you infect someone else once you have it.

I find it mind-boggling that so many people in the US share your attitude. I think it's a sign of a total failure in science education mixed with cultural issues. You realize that taking it more seriously would have actually lead to greater freedom and economic activity in the long run, right?

Last edited:

DeLub

So what would you do, give it first to those least responsible for creating a vaccine? Altruism has its limits before it becomes a bad idea.

Would you give to those who produce the least? Or is maybe a better idea to get those who can produce more vaccine the innoculation first so they can ramp up and get even more of it made. This social justice crap is muddled thinking. Practical plans for vaccination aren't that hard, and the more practical the better a job can be done. You'll gum up the works with this other mis-guided criteria.

Of course that's not what I said.

* There seems to be consensus that it's most beneficial to vaccinate the elderly first. Why doesn't Israel vaccinate the Palestinian elderly before moving to the younger people? There would be nothing impractical about that idea.
* Why does Canada order more vaccines than they need? This does increase price and makes the vaccines unavailable (due to unavailability and price) to others who need it as well? (I know, after public comments Canada mentioned they would give the remaining vaccines away.)

This is a pandemic, by definition a global problem. Why don't we attack it globally? Why not vaccinate the elderly globally instead of country by country, every country for itself introducing unfair competition?

chris719

There is little to no hard data on how covid actually transmits at this time.

There is a lot of it. Tons, actually. Just because you don't understand it or don't know it exists does not make it so.

I'm not gonna continue further with you on this. You just don't have a grasp of what this virus can do and what it would do completely unchecked. I suggest you do some reading. There are a lot of good peer reviewed journal articles available now. Before we take this into political territory, you really need to educate yourself on this virus.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
There is little to no hard data on how covid actually transmits at this time. My wife didn't catch it from me, despite us still sleeping together when I had it. My mother and sister work with me. We are actually not in close proximity most of the day, but we do hand each other documents all day. Yet we spread it all to each other apparently.

I used to live in NYC, took the subway everyday to school and work for years. Countless bugs spread like wildfire every single winter. That's how things were, and everyone accepted you'll probably catch a bug every flu season if you've gotta rely on public transportation. Hell, the government's declassified documents show they've purposely spread bio hazards in the NYC subways to study the spread on the unknowing population, without consent of course. As recently as 2010 actually.

Its mind boggling that suddenly this bug is somehow different and we need to end everyone's way of life as we know it.

Funny you bring up freedom and economic activity. Do you really think the people who've gained emergency powers will just willingly let go of them? You really think the corporations that had all their small business competition eliminated would just welcome small businesses reopening? What about corporate big box stores made them less susceptible to spreading a virus? Wouldn't centralizing where people could shop actually increase the chances for transmission?

Expand your knowledge horizon. There is more to it than your limited knowledge and experience

chris719

I think once the J&J vaccine and other single-dose easily transported vaccines (Covaxin, etc.) are approved worldwide we'll see rates skyrocket.

I'm hoping to get vaccinated in the next couple months depending on when my group becomes eligible.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had my first one last week.
I had a phone call from my local NHS doctor's surgery the week before asking me if 2:42pm next Thursday was OK. It is a 10 minute walk from my house, I arrived 5 mins before time and within seconds of 2:42 I was going through a questionaire with my doctor in a marquee behind the surgery then the AstraZeneca jab. No side effects but I know those having the Pfizer get a 15 minute observation period following a tiny number of bad reactions.
I was told I would be contacted in 11 weeks to come for a second dose.
I didn't hesitate, the data shows the virus is much, much more contagious than flu and whilst some people have no symptoms some die but there are the many potential awful life changing long term effects that concerned me most.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bit disappointing that a thread about whether we've had a vaccination yet has descended/developed* yet again into political point scoring! I suppose it was ever thus.

*delete as appropriate

Wombat

Master Contributor
Bit disappointing that a thread about whether we've had a vaccination yet has descended/developed* yet again into political point scoring! I suppose it was ever thus.

*delete as appropriate

Normal thread behaviour. No matter how unsubstantiated, they are content.

Aldoszx

I am gonna get the first dose at the beginning of March.
That was the first available slot here for appointment.

I've also had COVID at the end of October 2020.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Let's keep this one from deteriorating please.

I don't care (much) about drift, unless it is the standard political drift that seems inevitable with these threads on a global forum. Problems related to the unfairness of the world need to be left elsewhere.

chris719

*delete as appropriate

I learned months ago that there can be no such thing as an apolitical COVID thread because COVID-19 itself is political. Civil is all you can hope for. On topic too, I suppose as @BDWoody reminds us.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No vaccine here yet... I'm still far too young to be first in line. I did get an SMS last week that I was on the list.. which cannot be. So I called them and indeed it turned out to be a mistake. Doesn't surprise me one bit from Dutch government IT systems :facepalm:.

Anyway. I'm quite amazed by how quickly the US going with the vaccination programme. The previous administration must have done something correct here since this must have been prepared well in advance. On the other hand, my cousin works for the EU in quite high places and he told me already mid last year that the US had been buying massive amounts of vaccines far in advance, while in the EU, due to being EU.. they just could not do that, meaning that already back then the EU was lagging behind in the effort.

I'm quite fascinated though about how these mRNA vaccines work. It really is ingenious! I'm not too worried about any side effects, other than those that are common to just about all vaccines. Sometimes I try to read some of the anti-articles or watch some videos. Next to making me angry as hell most of the time because of the sheer ignorance and disingenuousness, they do remind me of the high-end audio practices :eek:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Our(Australia) control of the virus is exemplary by world comparisons. Vax arrival is slow and dose numbers limited at this stage.

Thank god for our control being science and societal co-operation based rather than those other more narrow basis. We can wear the delay, even if not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom