• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

UniPolar

IF I were wanting to make a purchase, then I'd see if there had been a test/review here.

I would count the results here with more weight than what I could possibly find elsewhere, but I doubt a review here would be the sole reason to purchase. or not.
EDIT:: Does anyone here remember the section of 60 minutes on TV called ' POINT:COUNTERPOINT' ?

What if after the 'objective review', there was a purely subjective one - by another person - which could or may offer something of value to offset or even augment the measurements ??

The subjective review could be a guest or even invite someone who is famously heavily into subjective superlatives ...

I think that would be an educational , if not entertaining way to attract Youtube viewers/followers..
What say you ?

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IF I were wanting to make a purchase, then I'd see if there had been a test/review here.

I would count the results here with more weight than what I could possibly find elsewhere, but I doubt a review here would be the sole reason to purchase. or not.
EDIT:: Does anyone here remember the section of 60 minutes on TV called ' POINT:COUNTERPOINT' ?

What if after the 'objective review', there was a purely subjective one - by another person - which could or may offer something of value to offset or even augment the measurements ??

The subjective review could be a guest or even invite someone who is famously heavily into subjective superlatives ...

I think that would be an educational , if not entertaining way to attract Youtube viewers/followers..
What say you ?
Amir gives subjective/general listening impressions on many reviews, comments on build quality, usability etc. I don’t see what an additional subjective review would add. It would add more work to doing a review though.

TomBo

Yep, Sennheiser H650 + S.M.S.L sanskrit 10th mk2 + Geshelli archel 2.5 pro. Very satisfied by the combo. Thanks Amir !

Last edited:

Moonhead

Nothin yet… must resist!
Might eventually buy 8030C :)

Trif

After Amir writes the review, a lot of us make subjective comments in the following thread.

In fact, it was those "subjective" comments that caused me to send back the JBL LSR705s. It appears one of their board stuffers was mis-loaded.* Rather than recall the speakers on their loading docks, they are shipping them all and letting the customers sort them out. At least, subjectively, that's what's happening. Mine became too hot to touch within 30 hours, so I returned them while they still only smelled of melting plastic. (Thanks to those who mentioned having them serviced. You saved me from the ".... but we'll gladly fix them for you." speech.)

But yeh, after we got the LS50s we wanted a way to use Bluetooth with them so we got an iFi, then we got LSR308s for the kitchen and another iFi, and now we have a Motu 2 in the studio with Kali In8s and Watts.

This site has guided me in spending a lot on audio gear. One thing I count on is, Amir has found flaws in things and can be ruthless in researching anomalies in the test results. Egged on by many of you in the peanut gallery, of course. Some of you bring serious life experience to bear on problems, and the resulting think tank is unique in audio, as far as I know.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes. Minidsp shd and a hypex amp from March audio. Would never have known about these if i didn’t discover this site.

and more importantly, as someone else commented, it’s cured my upgraditis

antennaguru

Unfortunately not on its own. I read the positive review and recommendation of the U-Turn Pluto 2 phono stage and it frankly is a super cheap phono stage, a disposable starter unit as such that a dealer can "throw in". I think the problem is that the measurement suite for phono stages unfortunately lacks what really matters, and the phono stages then all get ranked by a "single figure of merit" that frankly doesn't even matter with vinyl records. I have several phono stages I built very cheaply that blow the U-Turn away sonically. As fate would have it I was gifted one from a friend that I built a better mousetrap for, and now I include it in blind listening phono stage "shootouts" so others can blindly compare what is really good sounding and what isn't. The Pluto U-Turn simply isn't, and always gets a low rating. Some day there will be measurements included that actually matter for phono stages. I recall Kevin from Darlington Labs making some suggestions measurement-wise that might actually matter for phono stages.

In my opinion one thing that is important for phono stages is having enough headroom so that a loud pop/click in the record surface doesn't hang there for so long to be very obtrusive and disturbing while the phono stage recovers from it. I always include an older scratchy record track in blind tests to bring out this difference between phono stages. I also include a track with very precise imaging, one with great dynamic range (soft to loud), and male/female vocal tracks.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Add a Motu M4 to replace my older soundcard for improved speaker measurements.:)

RichT

Hello I've learned so much from this site, thanks Amirm and all: Sony mdx110's, SMSL Sanskrit, Tempotec HD Pro. I want some towers to replace my Pioneer FS-52's (which I like a lot!). Keep it coming you guys! Thanks

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello I've learned so much from this site, thanks Amirm and all: Sony mdx110's, SMSL Sanskrit, Tempotec HD Pro. I want some towers to replace my Pioneer FS-52's (which I like a lot!). Keep it coming you guys! Thanks
Can't go wrong with Revel towers.

D!sco

I actually bought the Topping MX3 because, in spite of the poor measurements, it fit my budget and does everything very adequately. I'd like to replace it with a Topping DX3 Pro and one of the new PA3s Pros, but that's a significant investment. Plus they're coming up with newer better things all the time.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some, talking about big leap from Pioneer FS-52
They were a big leap for me as well but I was shocked at the discount on a pair so sprung for them and haven't regretted the purchase.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Not yet - but have not bought because of Amirms reviews. Current dac (though measuring poorly compared with the top end) is good enough that I am unlikely to see benefit of an upgrade. And order for amp cancelled due to expectation my next amp will be class D rather than the a/b ordered.

Top Bottom