• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Year to date, to the best of my recollection:

20210517_203759.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A brick-and-mortar record shop opened up near my place! I bought one vintage 10" LP and one new CD of "My Foolish Heart" by the Keith Jarrett Trio.
_DSC0566-Pano.jpg

Also ordered a Bluray of "Thermae Romae II" which isn't available through regular channels in the USA.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Since you mentioned Dream Theater, I bought a box set of the ten earliest albums last year.

For me, “new” means primary market, not secondary market—I the first retail buyer. Cutouts went through wholesale liquidators, but that’s not retail and they are still new.

Rick “Wakeman’s Piano Portraits and a historical release of Reiner conducting Chicago playing Scheherezade, too” Denney

Bought a copy of Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea because I literally cannot find it for download or streaming anywhere. Apparently Billy Corgan has bad feelings about the way the group fell apart, so it has basically disappeared. One of my favorite albums from high school.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy CD's all the time.
Me, too. I’ve probably averaged one purchase a week for the past 18 months. One of my latest was “Glamoured” by Cassandra Wilson.

I still own a 5 disc NAD changer that I use regularly as a transport. I loaded it up with 5 discs of Cassandra Wilson yesterday and had a good afternoon. I always love the quality of her recordings, even when the material misses.

adc

Of course I do; nearly every title I buy is on CD. Most of the time, the CD is cheaper than a 16 bit FLAC download from 7digital. The download is the same music without the liner notes. Why would I pay more to get less?? The only advantage is possibly faster delivery, but Amazon can usually deliver the CD before my download would complete anyway. :D

Seriously. I do not understand why anyone (at least anyone with a CDROM drive) would pay $17 for a download instead of $12 (with free shipping) for the same thing on CD.

adc

And another thing: why, oh why, are PDF liner notes so rare? C'mon, folks; if you want kill off CDs, then FFS, make the digital version at least as content-rich. So far, I've only seen exactly one title which came with a downloadable version of the liner notes (thanks, Chromeo!).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@adc Interesting avatar

vibess

Latest CD, Nightwish - Human. :II: Nature
Have lately had an increasing desire to buy CD's...

boswell

Year to date, to the best of my recollection:

View attachment 130331
I bought Stand Up in 1970 (vinyl) and have loved it since, I have bought 2 copies of the cd and the most recent(not that recently) had bonus tracks on it. It must be my age age but I'm not a fan of bonus tracks.
BTW I saw the TULL at a concert in Melbourne .au in the 70's , at the start Ian Anderson introduced the band and said "We're going to play a track from our new album first" 40 odd minutes later they stopped to do the next song. (the album was thick as a brick).

Offler

I am buying DVDs and Blurays. Recently:
Black Books collection
Chernobyl
Eye in the Sky
Oldboy
Constantine
Three Billboard

I prefer to buy CDs on festivals.

aandres_gm

Yup. Today, in fact. Got Strauss's "Also sprach Zarathustra", conducted by Dudamel, and Arvo Pärt's "Alina". Wanted to get Rosalia's "El mal querer", but my local shop didn't have it.

I really like supporting local shops, but the two CDs totalled 37€. Had I bought them on amazon, I would've paid 20€ for both. Oh well.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy older titles used on eBay and immediately rip them to FLAC. Cheaper than buying digital. Recent purchases:
Donnie Iris - Back On The Streets
David Lindley - El Rayo-X
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell and Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell

I do like buying the occasional 4K Blu-ray disc too. Thinking about picking up the Lord Of The Rings and Hobbit trilogies.

Martin

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bought this one:

1623428276767.png

The whole revenue (literally every cent of it) was and will be donated to all the stage hands, lightning technicians and such who lost their jobs (hopefully just temporarily) during the pandemic.

Music itself is performed mostly by local bands and absolutely nothing I would recommend to anyone else here just for the listening experience ;)

Ramon Cota

Ramon still grows his physical collection ... properly mastered first/early cd pressings, proper re-releases, old vinyls, new cds, used cds.... still over 2k albums to buy on his list ... wil never succumb to paid streaming / downloads from corporate bastards ... that's their ultimate goal no private property only lending... of course big collection is something to fear about ... war , flood, fire ,theft , gay commies of the future forcefully redistributing it ... future paints itself in dark colours...

Top Bottom