• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did, waiting for it to arrive.

No need to extoll the virtues of streaming here, or some bargain purchase at GoodWill or the Dollar Store, just curious what (if anything) folks here might have actually physically (no downloads either) purchased at retail.

Stephanie Jones

View attachment 130247

Thanks to whoever it was here that posted one of her videos.
Just got Tåke and Our Spaces by Guy Andrews on CD. The first I was really lucky to get, since they printed only 50 copies. The second I bought on eBay, it’s actually a demo disc never meant for retail. I hate it when they only do digital downloads or LP (would consider wax cylinder though).

jsrtheta

I have a friend that owns a record store that I have been trying to support recently (sadly, the store has not survived our latest Covid lockdown here). The one thing that shocked me was how many albums were no longer available on CD any more. Like the Talking Heads back catalogue, for example. He told me that they were getting regular lists of thousands of releases that were being deleted by the record companies.

I go to Amazon and buy used. There's nothing I haven't been able to find. And it's CD, so I don't have to worry about vinyl problems!

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Braxton.jpg

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Over the past couple of years I’ve been slowly filling in the Telarc classical albums that don’t appear on Amazon music. This includes almost everything by Robert Shaw. Anything I really like I buy on CD if I can because eventually it will cycle off the streaming services like movies on Netflix.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just got three new old stock sealed Fourplay Discs, one out of Japan, to round out my collection as I don't think they are going to perform again.

scan560.jpg
scan561.jpg

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

Being the weebiest of weebs, I purchase CDs quite frequently. ;)

I have been listening to this album for many years but only recently purchased a physical copy. It is a wonderful collaboration between Toshihiko Sahashi and London Symphony Orchestra. The arrangements are very reminiscent of Jerry Goldsmith's work for TMP-era Star Trek, with sprinklings of John Williams. In fact, one of the first pieces is a direct homage to Goldsmith's Ilia theme.

1623723917846.png

There are two albums but I have not yet succeeded in acquiring the second.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Over the past couple of years I’ve been slowly filling in the Telarc classical albums that don’t appear on Amazon music. This includes almost everything by Robert Shaw. Anything I really like I buy on CD if I can because eventually it will cycle off the streaming services like movies on Netflix.
Where are you finding these, if I may ask?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A few recent disc (vinyl) purchases (of many), many of these were released within the last year or so..

Anyone in to trippy downtempo exotica groove has to know Khruangbin by now:

https://www.discogs.com/Khruangbin-Mordechai/release/15615567

Speaking of trippy, I only recently discovered Australia's Surprise Chef - stripped down minimalist groove, drums, bass, guitar and kinda retro keyboards:

https://www.discogs.com/Surprise-Chef-All-News-Is-Good-News/release/15336959

Sticking with the trippy theme, Wabi Sabi returned from his previous middle-eastern/Turkish jazz/prog opening LP to another more East Asian
inspired color palette:

https://www.discogs.com/Sven-Wunder-Wabi-Sabi/release/15308579

Midlife's last album, 2020, has such beautiful relaxed smooth grooves:

https://www.discogs.com/Mildlife-Automatic/release/15958192

70's Swedish Guitar Session God Janne Schaffer released a really nice snappy album in'78 "Earmeal," really well recorded for smooth prog jazz/rock:

https://www.discogs.com/Janne-Schaffer-Earmeal/release/1601065

And I picked up a re-issue of this classic Library Music Album, Black Pearl. Exceedingly expensive as an original copy, so glad someone
finally re-released it. Full of lots of dramatic instrumental tone and color:

https://www.discogs.com/Alan-Parker-Alan-Hawkshaw-Black-Pearl/master/1554864

Putter

Forum Donor
While most of my disc purchases are thrift shop CD 99 cents or 5 for $3.00, I do buy new multichannel CD and DVD's. Some recent purchases are Talking Heads '77 DVD/CD; YES Fragile, Yes Album, and Close to the Edge; Gentle Giant Three Piece Suite, The Doors The Singles Quad and various Classical SACD's.
The point being that CD is so 20th Century while multichannel is the future as far as I'm concerned. Yes I know that's so early 21st Century. Vinyl is the real future; scratches, pops, warps etc.:facepalm:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The point being that CD is so 20th Century while multichannel is the future as far as I'm concerned. Yes I know that's so early 21st Century.

Further back than that. People have been saying multichannel music was the future since the 90's, when home theater started to get huge. (In fact I'm sure you are aware people have at various times said multichannel is the future going decades further back...QUAD sound and all that).

Let's face it, the vast majority of people who listen to music have no desire to surround themselves with speakers. Ain't gonna happen. Speakers have gone to earbuds/earphones or even to MONO (the ubituitous smart speaker). The arrow is headed in the other direction if anything.

Vinyl is the real future; scratches, pops, warps etc.:facepalm:

Amazingly enough...yeah, that kinda happened. ;-)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Let's face it, the vast majority of people who listen to music have no desire to surround themselves with speakers. Ain't gonna happen. Speakers have gone to earbuds/earphones or even to MONO (the ubituitous smart speaker). The arrow is headed in the other direction if anything.
I've been thru all that too, it's hard to be optimistic. But the current excitement being led by Atmos gives me hope. And todays buyers are just dumb enough to lock onto the marketing hype of the soundbar that can do many magical things. LOL
OH YEA don't ya know, the soundbar that can immerse you in a complete 9.2.6 soundfield for only $99.95, all from the magic of digital processing. :p

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Where are you finding these, if I may ask?
Finding the CDs? Amazon.com. I have about two dozen in my “saved for later” box and pick one up now and again. I’ve also used eBay for the ones that aren’t available anywhere else. No brick and mortar places like there used to be, sadly.

Edit: if you’re asking about the Robert Shaw albums specifically, I already owned most of his Telarc releases before he died. I was in college then and I would make room in my budget for every one I could get my hands on.

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finding the CDs? Amazon.com. I have about two dozen in my “saved for later” box and pick one up now and again. I’ve also used eBay for the ones that aren’t available anywhere else. No brick and mortar places like there used to be, sadly.
Yes, I was referring to the Telarc discs.

I used to grab them at Academy Records & CDs on 18th St but haven't been there since my move to the 'burbs just before the pandemic. I need to find an excuse to get back down there.

I looked for used Telarc discs on Amazon yesterday. Didn't find much, sadly.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Yes, I was referring to the Telarc discs.

I used to grab them at Academy Records & CDs on 18th St but haven't been there since my move to the 'burbs just before the pandemic. I need to find an excuse to get back down there.

I looked for used Telarc discs on Amazon yesterday. Didn't find much, sadly.
Hmmm…maybe you need to search for the exact album? (…)
I just did a search on the Amazon app for “Telarc CD” and got a pretty decent result. More classical than jazz and most of the top ensembles and conductors. From there I might do a different search for “Erich Kunzel” or “Andre Previn” for some others that don’t appear on that search, but I’m honestly more impressed than I expected to be by the results.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
th.jpg

Most recent CD purchase, to replace a badly scratched disc. Always loved this version of "Bumpin' On Sunset"​

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Further back than that. People have been saying multichannel music was the future since the 90's, when home theater started to get huge. (In fact I'm sure you are aware people have at various times said multichannel is the future going decades further back...QUAD sound and all that).

Amazingly enough...yeah, that kinda happened. ;-)
I think further back than the 90s.

My office system has a compact Wollensak 8-track player (of course) and it has a switch for quadraphonic tapes.

https://8trackheaven.com/collecting/quadraphonic-8-track-tape-players/complete-list-of-quad-tapes/

Top Bottom