• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did we ever meet out favorite artist in person.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great encounters an stories. I'am missing female forum members (maybe groupies) who had some interesting stories to tell. Ah ok forget it before you know it we are in a Meetoo situation suing each other.:facepalm:

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
In the '80s I was in the organizing group of a small jazz festival. It was immemorable to host Konrad "Conny" Bauer and Günther "Baby" Sommer from DDR, to see&hear their free-jazz consert and the midnight jam after that!

Pianist Marian Petrescu lives in my neighbourhood. Ten years ago go I asked him and brother Mihai to play at the school where both of ours girls attend. Marian is very warm and friendly person and he has also visited my house and listened to his recordings on my diy dipole speakers with great joy and admiration!

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never met anyone famous. I guess you have to get out of your parent's basement in order to meet anyone. LOL. Actually, my wife and I did meet a performer. At a Hilton Head resort we were staying at. The pool deck. I ran into pro wrestler Arn Anderson. Had a beer with him at the drinks kiosk. Really nice guy. I didn't ask him to sing. Or put me in a headlock.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I met Vincent Price a couple of times and Etta James. Does that count ???
One of my all time favorite actors and singers, yea I guess they count!!!

Sawdust123

I have been going to the winter NAMM show for about 20 years straight. It is filled with musicians and I have met many over the years. Some of the names I can recall off the top of my head... Bono, Bootsy Collins, Dick Dale, George Clinton, Bernie Worrell, Carlos Santana, Pat Simmons, Patrice Rushen and scores of session musicians. My favorite experience was sitting with Skunk Baxter (Steely Dan, Doobie Bros) and discussing planes and defense systems. Outside of NAMM, I have met most of Devo, Eric Clapton, Chuck Berry, Jackson Browne, Dave Grohl (at his studio scene in the movie Sound City), Supertramp (drove them to their hotel after a show), Bo Diddley (had drinks with him), Dizzy Gillespie, Dave Koz, Spencer Davis, Brian Auger and several more whose names escape me at the moment.

Pe8er

I was super lucky to meet Les Claypool from Primus a couple years ago. The setting was appropriately surreal: it was a Polish-themed wine tasting event, he served us wine from his winery in glasses with Poland's coat of arms and classic Polish dishes (pierogi ruskie and bigos). We talked about new Primus music, Russia, Berlin Wall and some other shenanigans I don't remember because all I could hear in my head was "My name is Mud" on repeat o_O

Edit: I'm Polish of course!

IMG_1951.jpeg

Freeway

Dionne Warwick - I have always had a crush on Dionne Warwick since my youth. Shared a cigarette with her outside the backstage door before her performance at the Circle Star Theater. Just her and I. I guess you could say her lips met mine. What a Thrill!
Tony Williams often frequented the home I shared with my best friend Peggy. We'd play board games on the living room floor. A humble man. Quiet. Just a beautiful spirit.
Jim Morrison - I beheld him face down, passed out on the asphalt floor of Dinner Key Auditorium. Peeled him up and with two other gents dragged him, by the arms, up a flight of stairs to a room above the stage. Propped him up against a window sill. Got to hear him ramble on for a bit. That was cool for me. Then he was arrested. That was not cool for Jim.

Top Bottom