• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did the air move for you?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I often see this expression used, I know how sound works so how much woofer flap would I need to create wind rather than sound.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wind normally doesn't oscillate.

Hypnotoad

Only when I eat too much Muesli.

BillG

Major Contributor
I often see this expression used, I know how sound works so how much woofer flap would I need to create wind rather than sound.
Keith

Pumping up a heavy Dub song, and blowing e-cigarette vapour at a woofer that's capable of making my feel it in my chest, I've got nothing for you... :p

Tks

Major Contributor
Pumping up a heavy Dub song, and blowing e-cigarette vapour at a woofer that's capable of making my feel it in my chest, I've got nothing for you... :p
15-Vapers-be-like...-getting-ready-for-the-cloud-comp.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, wind is like DC, sound is like AC. If you want wind, get a fan. If you want woofing, get a dog. If you want sub-woofing, get a wolf.

JohnPM

Technical Expert
And of course there is this, moving the air and the hair:

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The air movement ‘wind’ in the videos is simply caused by the cone movement?

Yup. moving air molecules pushed back and forth with great amplitude.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the "nothing succeeds like excess" crowd, Eminence's new 21" neo magnet, 6-inch voice coil woofer comes out looking like a complete monster in the current issue of Voice Coil. I won't infringe on their copyright, but the top line number is 18.8mm xmax, limited by motor force. BLx and KMSx curves also have very smooth, near textbook shapes. Frequency response has a dip at 300Hz, but otherwise excellent frequency response within the "subwoofer plus two [octaves]" bandwidth.

Data-bass also measured a this woofer in a large closed box. It was impressive as expected.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Keith
I lifted my duvet a week last Sunday after trying a new kebab house. Does this count?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was a student, and had my Goodmans TwinAxiom 10s in BIG Reflex enclosures ( see other thread) one party trick was to blow out a candle held in front of the bass port.

It's surprising what little pleasures we got after 6 pints........

S.

Top Bottom