• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devices that will accept a cast from Tidal.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Hi thanks for the reply! I'm not an Apple enthusiast, also I was hoping in a native solution a-la Spotify Connect.
I think it's just laziness on Yamaha's part as they did not implement the Tidal's streaming protocol. Unfortunately their App is so bad that is a liability for such a good piece of hardware.
I have been told by another forum member that MusicCast's implementation of Tidal is pretty bare bones. I am not much of an Apple user either, but AirPlay does seem to work well with the Yamaha streamers, and so far I've avoided having to download MusicCast. I hope that you find a good solution.

toroop

I have been told by another forum member that MusicCast's implementation of Tidal is pretty bare bones

I make apps for a living and I was shocked how a big company like Yamaha can produce such a bad one as MusicCast, especially considering the hardware and ecosystem are really wonderful.

It's great you are satisfied with your solution without having to use the App! I think I'll stick to Spotify unless they eventually implement native Tidal casting.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 streamer features Chromecast input.
+1 on this.

If I understand the OP correctly, they only want to cast from the official Tidal app rather than any 3rd party app or streaming set up.

They are therefore limited to devices that either are Google devices (I see Chromecast Audio mentioned earlier on but any of the Google Home stuff will work, though not from a hi-fi perspective), devices marked as Chromecast/ Google Cast enabled (like the CXN V2 above) OR lets not forget Apple Airplay- which opens up another raft of devices.

A convoluted solution would be to cast to a Smart TV or one equipped with a (video) Chromecast stick then use TV outputs to ones DAC/ amp. But this is clunky and will involve resampling etc. (EDIT- just seen you don't have a TV)

What's your objections to using other streaming set ups OP @day7a1 ? Blusound for example? The Tidal content is the same, access to your favourites, etc- just not the Tidal app layout. Never bothered me, in fact I try and avoid the actual Tidal app!

Last edited:
Top Bottom