• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Device for Equal Loudness/Fletcher Munson Curve? Do Any Speakers Adapt to This?

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I posted earlier in this topic what I do. I put a -10 loudness compensation curve (example) and adust the volume until it sounds balanced. many times i switch the curve on and off to train my ears.
So basically you are doing the "shelving tone controls" method in reverse by picking a set EQ-filter and adjusting the volume instead of the frequency response.
Got it.
Sounds tedious. You really do that manually per track on a regular basis?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
So basically you are doing the "shelving tone controls" method in reverse by picking a set EQ-filter and adjusting the volume instead of the frequency response.
Got it.
Sounds tedious. You really do that manually per track on a regular basis?

I don't have to do it for every track. and after doing it for a while it is just like the normal adjusting volume which I always did before using those curves. atm I use only -10 and -20 curves and it is easy to get a feel for those levels. -10 I use for listening, -20 for "background music"

tuga

Major Contributor
A couple of Phasure/BD Design speakers have Fletcher-Munson controls:

Orelino / Orelo MKII Fletcher-Munson Curves

A few examples of the settings (27 in total) :

IMG_0825a.JPG

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Rather than taking measurements in the actual listening position, this is how the Loudness DSP 'curves' roughly appear using JRiver's internal analyzer and full-range pink noise test calibration signal:

In stereo mode:
1594168601714.png

In MCH mode (last two channels [dark pink curve] are just clone copies of the full L&R channels for sending/re-routing to a separate HP amp):
1594168705412.png

Why didn't I think of this before? Simpler and quicker than taking measurements in the actual listening position.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Not sure we can put much faith in the average Englishman's hearing almost a century ago. Concepts valid. Data may not be.

FWIW, I do not like the results Adusseey provides, Emotiva was worse. My Anthem seems better. I had a DEQ2496. Dumped it. Too much distortion and noise. Went back to what I know, passive networks and room control.

mlee

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Dolby Volume does this as well. It's hard to find in devices though. Anthem has it and a few others.

ElNino

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Dolby Volume does this as well. It's hard to find in devices though. Anthem has it and a few others.

Dolby Volume integrates an equal loudness model with a dynamic range compressor. It's a pretty cool technology but I wonder if the latter isn't counterproductive for music listening -- or maybe the combination is better for some people?

mlee

Dolby Volume integrates an equal loudness model with a dynamic range compressor. It's a pretty cool technology but I wonder if the latter isn't counterproductive for music listening -- or maybe the combination is better for some people?

Ah, I thought they could be used independently. Yes, compression probably not good for music reproduction.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I helped develop a feature in DRC plugin for Volumio which may help you to implement this. You can set up 6 volume dependent filters which are then swapped seemlesly as you change volume, 4 of them for listening below flat curve and 2 of them above flat curve. Those 2 can also be used to reduce LF amplitude for loud playing to reduce strain on woofers.
Can this be used with the Minidsp SHD? I seem to recall in the past that it couldn’t be used. It is the 1 feature the SHD is missing in my opinion.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
If nobody has mentioned it (how does one search a particular thread?) the Buchardt A500 has a calibrated loudness feature you can turn on.

In the automotive space, BMW and others have speed dependent volume; I don't recall ever discussing if this was strictly volume, or if any loudness EQ was also involved

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Personally I don't like these compression programs for leveling volume at any time, but surprising how many times I see people saying they like to use them not only for tv/movies but also music....

dasdoing

Major Contributor
new LSP plugin has been released: https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&section=loud_comp_stereo
manly targeted at Jack the LADSPA one at least should be able to work with Alsa somehow (no experience with Alsa plugins)

personaly I can't live without this plugin anymore.
I use volumes from 0dB to -25dB. When I switch to flat (undoing loudness compensation) at -25dB my system sounds like a laptop (literally, even the soundfield shrinks)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Personally I don't like these compression programs for leveling volume at any time, but surprising how many times I see people saying they like to use them not only for tv/movies but also music....

Don't use dynamic compression, but my wireless headphones do have the feature as well. I've never used it. I think there's always a use case for these things. Just haven't come across a need for it myself.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
compression for movies is a must when you watch 5.1 downmixed with the ATSC standard on a stereo system. No clue why they came up with it, but it is impossible to whatch modern movies with it.
Here I solved this issue by making my own downmix in a software matrix mixer

Aerith Gainsborough

personaly I can't live without this plugin anymore.
I use volumes from 0dB to -25dB. When I switch to flat (undoing loudness compensation) at -25dB my system sounds like a laptop (literally, even the soundfield shrinks)
Hmm to bad it seems to be Linux only. Would have liked to give it a shot.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
compression for movies is a must when you watch 5.1 downmixed with the ATSC standard on a stereo system. No clue why they came up with it, but it is impossible to whatch modern movies with it.
Here I solved this issue by making my own downmix in a software matrix mixer

Are these for certain DVDs? Not sure I've encountered watching a movie downmixed to stereo where I felt the need for something like it.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Are these for certain DVDs? Not sure I've encountered watching a movie downmixed to stereo where I felt the need for something like it.

nver heard of the "dialogs quiet, explosions loud" problem?
but yes, it is not all movies...so it is caused by bad mixing, not the standard per se.

also, in general the soundeffects on some movies are just stupid, I remember recently meassuring a movie scene of a closing trash can that had 20 and 30Hz content. I also remember "The Invisible Man" as very bad; for example a guy running into a parked car sounding like a bomb

Top Bottom