• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Device for Equal Loudness/Fletcher Munson Curve? Do Any Speakers Adapt to This?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Interesting, I suspect these may be Onkyo/Integra specific Dolby options; my Denon doesn't have them and I only see reference to them online in queries an manuals about Onkyo and Integra models.

It's an option from Dolby, comes with the licence.
But given D&M have audyssey and its deq, they may have opted not to implement it.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's an option from Dolby, comes with the licence.
But given D&M have audyssey and its deq, they may have opted not to implement it.
Do you know of any brands that use it besides the Onkyo/Integra family?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Do you know of any brands that use it besides the Onkyo/Integra family?
I saw a recent posting complaining that "Dolby Loudness Management" was turned on by default on D&M AVR's (reddit, circa 2 yrs old):

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/lk3p6w
So apparently it is present on the D&M AVR's

These were the outcome of a 2 minute google search.... google is your friend!

BillG

Major Contributor
Squeeze DSP for Logitech Media Server implemented it a couple of months ago. However, it's been updated recently to allow a user adjustable reference level and this was requested by me. You're welcome...

"loudness fine tuning - loudness compensation is used to correct the signal when music is played at levels lower than the reference level. This is because the human ear is less sensitive to frequencies at the hearing extremes when the sound pressure at the listening position falls below 80-85 phon. At 1000 Hz 1 phon = 1db, which means that if you measure the volume in db at your listening position when playing a 1000 hz signal with your volume set to your preferred listening level, you can get a precise loudness compensation. If the level is really low, there is a significant amount of bass applied to the signal so you may seem some clipping."

Screenshot_2023-07-10-11-47-24-733_com.craigd.lmsmaterial.app-edit.jpg

TimoJ

I saw a recent posting complaining that "Dolby Loudness Management" was turned on by default on D&M AVR's (reddit, circa 2 yrs old):

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/lk3p6w
So apparently it is present on the D&M AVR's

These were the outcome of a 2 minute google search.... google is your friend!
They seem to talk about compression, so is Dolby Loudness just dynamic range compressor? That's not how loudness works.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
They seem to talk about compression, so is Dolby Loudness just dynamic range compressor? That's not how loudness works.
I wouldn't take the reddit posting for "gospel"...

Dolby have two seperate settings of relevance, "Late Night" and "Loudness Management" - the former is compression based, and the latter is volume/perception curve based - they are often used together (for obvious reasons), but some of us like to leave Loudness on in permanence, as when we listen to things at low level, it auto adjusts and vice versa for high level listening...

Works best for AV/Movies that are recorded to a reference level, which the AVR is calibrated to, with Music it can be very variable, as there is no reference level, there is no way for the system to gauge the correct loudness adjustment .

TimoJ

I wouldn't take the reddit posting for "gospel"...

Dolby have two seperate settings of relevance, "Late Night" and "Loudness Management" - the former is compression based, and the latter is volume/perception curve based - they are often used together (for obvious reasons), but some of us like to leave Loudness on in permanence, as when we listen to things at low level, it auto adjusts and vice versa for high level listening...

Works best for AV/Movies that are recorded to a reference level, which the AVR is calibrated to, with Music it can be very variable, as there is no reference level, there is no way for the system to gauge the correct loudness adjustment .
So there is no loudness level adjustment and it works only when Dolby upmixer is used?
Monoprice HTP-1's loudness implementation is pretty awesome compared to that. Always available, adjustable level, two user selectable curves (and with shell access fully adjustable correction curve).

dlaloum

Major Contributor
So there is no loudness level adjustment and it works only when Dolby upmixer is used?
Monoprice HTP-1's loudness implementation is pretty awesome compared to that. Always available, adjustable level, two user selectable curves (and with shell access fully adjustable correction curve).
Agreed - there should be a lot more adjustments "exposed" - but they aren't on most AVR/AVP's

And yes it is linked to the Dolby Upmixer - so if you opt for a different mixer you don't have that option.

If the device is THX certified, THX also provides their loudness algorhythm, and THX devices therefore have the option of using that (when in THX mode)

And of course Audyssey based devices, have the Audyssey equivalent available ONLY when Audyssey is active.

I don't think DTS have an equivalent. (and I don't know about Auro...)

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is this "Dolby loudness"? Do you mean Dolby Volume? It doesn't appear to be a common feature with Dolby surround units. And I think it won't work with 2 ch music etc.
Dolby's paper says it will work with and number of channels, and it's mentioned in the JBL SDP 58 user manual. Hoping it works.

Top Bottom