• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Phantoms

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some quick advice is requested. I want to add a pair of wireless speakers to my family room. They need to be wireless because of the layout, which is part of an open concept main floor of around 1000ft2 (10,000ft3) with a primary listening position of around 10 feet from the speakers. These would not be used for "critical listening", as I have a separate listening room, but I do want them to sound good. They are replacing a small Klipsch bluetooth speaker.

I have ruled out the Kii 3's (too expensive), the D&D 8C's (too big for the space available), and the Kef LS50II's (too small for the space generally). I am looking at the Devialet Phantoms as they will be loud enough for the room and form factor is not unimportant. I know from @mitchco's review on CA that they will be bright. I am less concerned with the boominess as I think the open area will take care of a lot of this. However, in any event I can tame the frequency response with some room correction. My last criteria is that they need to be locally available here in Toronto as I want to support a local retailer. Unfortunately, I can't find any other alternatives that work.

Is this a bad idea? Are there others I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some quick advice is requested. I want to add a pair of wireless speakers to my family room. They need to be wireless because of the layout, which is part of an open concept main floor of around 1000ft2 (10,000ft3) with a primary listening position of around 10 feet from the speakers. These would not be used for "critical listening", as I have a separate listening room, but I do want them to sound good. They are replacing a small Klipsch bluetooth speaker.

I have ruled out the Kii 3's (too expensive), the D&D 8C's (too big for the space available), and the Kef LS50II's (too small for the space generally). I am looking at the Devialet Phantoms as they will be loud enough for the room and form factor is not unimportant. I know from @mitchco's review on CA that they will be bright. I am less concerned with the boominess as I think the open area will take care of a lot of this. However, in any event I can tame the frequency response with some room correction. My last criteria is that they need to be locally available here in Toronto as I want to support a local retailer. Unfortunately, I can't find any other alternatives that work.

Is this a bad idea? Are there others I should look at?

Thanks in advance.
I ordered a pair of silver Phantoms when they were first announced. They took a long time to come but I have had them just over 5 ½ years now.
They are not main system either but I find them fantastic. They are not bright in my installation. I sit a bit closer to them but in a bigger room.
Mine are hardware incompatible with the latest operating system (they are pre-built in blutooth) so I can't comment on operability nowadays, mine need the Dialog wireless connection box which is no longer needed so current ones should be just the 2 speakers and the software.

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
I ordered a pair of silver Phantoms when they were first announced. They took a long time to come but I have had them just over 5 ½ years now.
They are not main system either but I find them fantastic. They are not bright in my installation. I sit a bit closer to them but in a bigger room.
Mine are hardware incompatible with the latest operating system (they are pre-built in blutooth) so I can't comment on operability nowadays, mine need the Dialog wireless connection box which is no longer needed so current ones should be just the 2 speakers and the software.
Many thanks for that feedback. I think I will pull the trigger on these. The dealer is just waiting for more supply.

If anyone in interested in how they sound, let me know and I can post some measurements once they are in situ.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone in interested in how they sound, let me know and I can post some measurements once they are in situ.

I'm sure many will be interested, please do :)

Reactions: GDK

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be interested in in-room measurements, or gated close mic measurements.

I had a pair of the Phantom Reactors, but the app experience killed it for me.

Also, be wary of diffraction... If they are on a shelf, make sure the edge of the base is touching the edge of the shelf. I put mine on square stands and I swear they sounded a little off. Placement on a table was interesting to experiment with as well. I wish they had presets to take care of this.

Oh, and even with my Genelec 8260 monitors, I'd used these and buy a pair again if they had regular inputs. There's a custom installer version but I've never been able to get Devialet to get me the pricing on those. They have phoenix connectors and I think may take an XLR signal and not use the app.

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
I picked the Phantoms up yesterday and did some in-room measurements today. I would agree that they are definitely not bright.
Sweeps Picture - 201211.jpg

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
If anyone would like me to do some close mic measurements, just let me know how best to set it up as I haven't done that before.

Zvu

If anyone would like me to do some close mic measurements, just let me know how best to set it up as I haven't done that before.

Put the loudspeaker in the middle of the room and set it on an improvised stand that will put the loudspeaker at half of the room height. Set the microphone at least 75cm in front of loudspeaker at exact same height and hit measure.

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
an improvised stand
How about on my kitchen island? I read the thread about the guy who dropped his brand new Genelec and these would definitely not survive that fall! :eek:

EDIT: I will prop it up on some books.

Zvu

Kitchen island is too big and reflective surface. I usually use two speaker stands one on top of the other.

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
Kitchen island is too big and reflective surface. I usually use two speaker stands one on top of the other.
Unfortunately, I don’t have stands for them and I am not super comfortable with jerry-rigging something together on day 2 of ownership. However, I stacked a couple of nesting tables and got it to 85cm!

206D86C8-A79A-4CC0-A557-8908DF338310.jpeg

YSC

Major Contributor
this looked fantastically flat for a in room response for me, the dips looks more like room modes here?

YSC

Major Contributor
Devialet Phantoms are fantastic little things! Aside from the stupid interface with cell phone that was when I had them.
Extremely bass heavy out of the box, but they are really smooth and comfortable sounding due to that dip in the presence region.

Good measurements also;

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...oudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements
the dip in presence region seems too much for me personally though, maybe coz I adapted to the genelec type flat sound

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
Very nice.

What dealer did you buy from?

It was Executive Stereo in North York. They are on your dealer list, but it doesn’t mention Devialet. Ed Stone there was great to deal with.

OP
GDK

GDK

Forum Donor
Quick update: the Phantom series are now Roon Ready, although interestingly their maximum sampling rate is 24/48, which is causing some consternation amongst its owners.

Top Bottom