• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you were to look around you would find enough, beginning with the large number of class D amps that are sold for subwoffer and non-hi-fi use.
You saying that amps that are not sold as full range amps might not be good as full range amps. Big surprise.
Since you believe SAM is something else, then what else is it other than a frequency response alteration?
It's loudspeaker frequency response correction (and protection), not amp response correction. If you want to keep claiming the amps have a frequency response issue you need to provide evidence.

T-NYC

BTW, I was enthused about the original product which was promising. However since then the claims about ADH being something original (Hegel, Linn, and others make the same claims for their current dumpers), SAM (I'm certain the reply to my comment abouve will correct my misapprehension ;-), the speakers that are omni-directional by means of having a curved baffle, the speakers which create outstanding image -- while configured as mono, the LPs... this is a BS company, even before the test reports showed what is actually under the hood.

T-NYC

You saying that amps that are not sold as full range amps might not be good as full range amps. Big surprise.

It's loudspeaker frequency response correction (and protection), not amp response correction. If you want to keep claiming the amps have a frequency response issue you need to provide evidence.

Sorry but you are making the claim on behalf of this firm; prove it!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frank, as you are making the claim it is similar but different -- prove it! Explain convincingly how this is the case.
You need to provide evidence of your claim first, else Frank will be tilting at windmills.

T-NYC

I already have
You need to provide evidence of your claim first, else Frank will be tilting at windmills.

I already have by pointing out the 1971 patent filing (and subsequent AES paper) that covers this

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry but you are making the claim on behalf of this firm; prove it!
I've posted frequency response measurements with and without before, it changes the response in line with the companies claims that it does for my speakers. Welcome to my ignore list.

T-NYC

I've posted frequency response measurements with and without before, it changes the response in line with the companies claims that it does for my speakers. Welcome to my ignore list.

No one can deny you have religious belief. Good luck with that!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Frank, as you are making the claim it is similar but different -- prove it! Explain convincingly how this is the case.
The voltage amp is class-A, the current is supplied by 4 (iirc) class D devices transformer coupled to the output and running at different phase to each other to further smooth the output current.
ADH stands for analogue digital hybrid. The digital bit is control of everything to do with preamp, phono stage and analogue inputs which are digitised immediately.
SAM is a DSP correction for speakers in the bass only, in order to run it you have to specify which speaker you are using in the configurator which then adds the appropriate correction for that speaker's bass into the configuration file.
As I have already written SAM was a later update, it is based on what they found developing the Phantom active range. The original ADH neither needs nor has SAM.
No zigs, no zags wtf that means!

T-NYC

The voltage amp is class-A, the current is supplied by 4 (iirc) class D devices transformer coupled to the output and running at different phase to each other to further smooth the output current.
ADH stands for analogue digital hybrid. The digital bit is control of everything to do with preamp, phono stage and analogue inputs which are digitised immediately.
SAM is a DSP correction for speakers in the bass only, in order to run it you have to specify which speaker you are using in the configurator which then adds the appropriate correction for that speaker's bass into the configuration file.
As I have already written SAM was a later update, it is based on what they found developing the Phantom active range. The original ADH neither needs nor has SAM.
No zigs, no zags wtf that means!

As mentioned I was enthusiastic about the original product, to the point of strongly considering a purchase.

On to your comments above --
the voltage amp is class A
the current amp is class D
sure sounds like a current-dumper topology

SAM. I am aware this was a later development after the company culture degenerated from engineering-oriented to marketing-hype machine.

SAM is correction. How is it that no other firm has noticed the need for "correction" of this type? Applying scientific method -- if a speaker were measured with a known blameless amplifier (Benchmark, Eigentakt, Ncore 1200, ATI Signature for example), and then measured with a Devialet with SAM not enabled, what would you see?

BTW does it strike you as odd that none of the many speaker manufacturers, whose products have been "SAMed" have noticed these irregularities?

If you do not comprehend zig-zag then how can you refute it?

T-NYC

Maybe a spice girls reference, see if Geri knows.

English seems not to be your first language. This is an idiomatic expression. Sorry, I did not realize it would be a burden for you. Spice Girls, well if that is your taste, then Devialet will likely be right for you. Just one Phantom per room necessary. Omnidirectional too.

T-NYC

As I wrote before, the Devialet has some similarity to current dumping.
It is the only part of your posts that isn't complete balderdash.
You seem to be determinedly hard of understanding or got some sort of axe to grind about Devialet.

Mon, the reverse is quite true. Your continuing defense of a firm that has devolved from interesting and foward-thinking to one that produces garbage and hype is sad.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Mon, the reverse is quite true. Your continuing defense of a firm that has devolved from interesting and foward-thinking to one that produces garbage and hype is sad.
Your barking up the wrong tree here , I think @Frank Dernie would agree devialet has gone away from being a pure technology company and into fancy marketing land. Something most of us agree with btw and let's not get started on their firmware lol.

Also the evidence regarding your claims about SAM being a amp frequency range fixer seems non existent. It's just ' what you reckon ' , that's fine but as it's a extraordinary claim and one made with such conviction the burden of proof lay with you .

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Your barking up the wrong tree here , I think Frank would agree devialet had gone away from being a pure technology company and into fancy marketing land.

Not to mention, Frank isn't known for confidently talking out of his ass...which newcomers seem afflicted with too often.

He's probably already on ignore anyway...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Not to mention, Frank isn't known for confidently talking out of his ass...which newcomers seem afflicted with too often.

He's probably already on ignore anyway...
He's also resurrected the term " balderdash " , I'm confident that's never been used on ASR before and probably has layed dormant for quarter of a century at least.

T-NYC

Your barking up the wrong tree here , I think @Frank Dernie would agree devialet has gone away from being a pure technology company and into fancy marketing land. Something most of us agree with btw.

Also the evidence regarding your claims about SAM being a amp frequency range fixer seems non existent. It's just ' what you reckon ' , that's fine but as it's a extraordinary claim and one made with such conviction the burden of proof lay with you .

I am a newcomer here, but far from that as regards high fidelity audio. I do not know Frank as you do, nor do I have any motive to denigrate Devialet. Quite the reverse, I find the actual situation as opposed to what I belived to be the case, shocking and sad. It is never a pleasure to see a promising firm fail. Perhaps I misread Frank's comments, however there seems to be a constant theme that Devialet is misunderstood. Some of that has been dispatched by my replies, which I stand by. As to SAM, the burden of proof is on the original party making extraordinary claims. In this case Devialet and by proxy, Frank. I have sugested a common--sense method of doing so, however we all know this will not occur.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Balderdash_and_Piffle_dogs_dinner.jpg

Top Bottom