• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yup, Amira has got a really mean plan to earn some money. You'll probably find him even more attractive when he collects that money from Devialet. :D
I find Amira attractive but evil man makes me not see pictures after 1987.. then asks me for money to make talk talk.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
amira.jpg

DSJR

Major Contributor
I really don't know what is your intention to test a product that is discontinued few years back in year 2020.

Professional reviewer uses brand new unit for testing, and they talk to the manufacture if they encounter issue during the testing, get the communication happen, then continue to test, finally they publish the detailed background, process and result.

The way Amirm has done may occurred massive misleading to readers and may brings negative impact to existing owner.

Amirm, you are extremely immoral, and some of the replies from your reader about Devialet are so mean and their opinions are not objective. There are a saying, people get together, because they are the same kind of people. I really question your purpose and intentions behind the strange way you have done this review. Good effort?

Earlier in this thread, Stereophile measurements (on a NEW SAMPLE of a Devialet product) were posted and much the same lack of hf power output was indicated! Maybe this review sample had been round the block a bit in its life, but it seems the issue was designed in...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Earlier in this thread, Stereophile measurements (on a NEW SAMPLE of a Devialet product) were posted and much the same lack of hf power output was indicated! Maybe this review sample had been round the block a bit in its life, but it seems the issue was designed in...
I was hoping @amirm (or anyone else who is good at reading this sort of thing) would comment on the Paul Miller measurements, and how they compare.
Just remembered Paul Miller has measured this, well it was the 170 then, same hardware, different firmware.

The first is the analogue input, which has more tests than the others.
http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2013/reports/sep13/devialet_170.html
http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2013/reports/sep13/devialet_170_lpcm.html
http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2013/reports/sep13/devialet_170_usb.html

You need to be registered at his site to view.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The same here but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a difference in measurements.
Why didn't devialet advise stereophile to try that mode? The found the same issue I did.

Anyway if the unit had not died prematurely I could have tried it....

Feargal

But then I'd hope the difference between DPM of and on (default is on I believe) shouldn't mean the difference between the unit testing extremely weirdly, or even living and dying.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I really don't know what is your intention to test a product that is discontinued few years back in year 2020.
The intention was to identify if the core amplification technology Devialet has offered since start is competitive with state-of-the-art in amplification. The 200 came out in 2015 it seems so less than 5 years old. Amplifiers do not become obsolete quickly so in this regard, this amp is as relevant today as it was when announced.

Professional reviewer uses brand new unit for testing, and they talk to the manufacture if they encounter issue during the testing, get the communication happen, then continue to test, finally they publish the detailed background, process and result.
You mean paid reviewers. They work for magazines or bloggers who get free loaner equipment from manufacturers. Naturally manufacturer wants to sell new products so that is all they offer those reviewers. The partnership there is between the manufacturer and reviewer. The consumer does not enter that equation (not directly anyway).

We are different in that I don't get paid to review anything. My model is to rely on membership to provide gear that they like to have tested. This removes every trace of commercial conflict. So if you are on the side of customers, you should like this model better. If on the other hand you are on the side of the manufacturer, then sure, you would be upset as you are.

In this case an owner sold his amp to a US based member. The two agreed and were interested in having me test the unit on its way to its member. That is what I did, and what I reported on. Nothing was hidden or represented as being current product. This was clearly identified in the first paragraph of the review:

1586280341379.png

If the new version doesn't have the same high frequency power limit reported by me and Stereophile for a generation back, then you as an owner of one or the company should offer it for testing. So far no such offer has come.

Over time, I am sure we will get access to more Devialet products to test. We have patience as there is plenty of other gear to test.

Top Bottom