• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
index.php

ZOMG that is hideous.

EDIT: although it might be good for Deutschland. ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The name Boulder jogged a memory -- turns out they made the second most expensive DAC...
I can understand buying an expensive amplifier. Build quality and all that. Huge power into any and all loads. Lasting a lifetime. Maybe not Boulder dollars, but expensive nonetheless. What I don't understand is spending more than Benchmark/Okto/Matrix dollars for a DAC--and then only if you have a special requirement. If not, then something like the Topping would fill the bill.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Lol, did AMIR test at lunchtime?
Keith

RigorDude

Holt's grievance was his claim that manufacturers (ie, advertisers) had 'too much' influence with magazine (Audiocraft and High Fidelity) editorial content.

Holt eventually realized that it was impossible for him to 'go it alone', non-commercial. Let's face it, ads pay for the magazine, any magazine.

As far as the 'no bad reviews'? In Stereo Review's case, Larry Klein chose the gear to be reviewed and sent it to Hirsch.

On the other hand, manufacturers had an incentive to produce well thought out gear because they wanted Hirsch, Len Feldman and the rest to offer a positive write up so they could place it in their ads. There was real competition among manufacturers back then. Some manufacturers refused to play the game, like McIntosh, thinking they had nothing to gain by sending gear in for review. McIntosh was not tweaky enough for the undergrounds, and spec for spec it was difficult for the mainstream mags to recommend them when the Pioneer receiver on page 45 outspec'd whatever Mac was selling for double the price.

The exceptions to the usual types of cookie cutter reviews in the mainstream press were Audio's Richard Heyser (whose loudspeaker reviews remain examples of how it should be done), and possibly Bascom King, who was able to get away with 'subjective' comments--the latter questionable due to his lack of controlled method.

Lots of interesting stuff here - thanks for posting. When I think of Hirsch, "no bad reviews" isn't what comes to mind. It's more like "these specs, which we've confirmed in our lab, tell you everything you need to know about the Pioneer RCH-2745 solid-state receiver." Which would turn out to sound deadly when you brought it home from the hifi shop.

Holt was different in that he believed in listening as the final arbiter of merit, which was pretty radical at the time. Yes, he was fully conversant with the technical issues that mattered. He just didn't linger on them. I believe Stereophile still expects this of its reviewers, which is why Dudley does SET amps and Atkinson doesn't (though I suspect he knows a fair bit about SETs).

And Holt was a terrific writer - brisk, precise, and drily funny. Much better, as I remember it, than anyone at the other mags of that time. Of course, he thought that component break-in is a real thing!

Any idea where I might read a Heyser review?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If they ignore this one, perhaps a big banner on the home page: Of all of the amplifiers we've ever seen fail during testing, this is certainly the most expensive.

Did any others fail?

RigorDude

They do but how would that do us any good?
Perhaps I misunderstood. My impression was that the people you're asking for help from on this problem are in France - Paris to be exact. Is that mistaken?

Paris has nearly 6,000 people hospitalized with COVID-19 infections. It seems to me rather optimistic to expect Devialet in Paris to get back to you anytime soon.

If you reach out to a dealer or distributor in the U.S. or Canada you might have a better chance of getting a response.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
[QUOTE="If you reach out to a dealer or distributor in the U.S. or Canada you might have a better chance of getting a response.[/QUOTE]

Dealers and service depots have very strict agreements and can be severely punished for breaking what amounts to several 3" binders of text agreements. Been there and done that. The best route is to stay out of this sort of thing and keep clean.

Top Bottom