• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

facefirst

What this conversation makes me wonder is....at what point do these very carefully measured reviews become irrelevant? The Expert 200 does not appear to be well-resolved yet people seem to really like it? At what point do the measurements stop mattering beyond being just reassuring to know?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Cost to upgrade my Devialet Expert 400 (i.e. 2 of what @BDWoody has ) to Expert 440 with new Core Infinity board and DSP chips:

$5,190

This would increase the power a bit, add Roon RAAT support, some other streaming services, and the 9 band PEQ.

Although I have to decide if I want that upgrade or a Focal Stellia.

gianventu

Ok, It took me lot of time to read mostly of your posts here.
A simple question: I have a Devialet D Premier, do I have to throw it in the garbage or can I keep it in my system?
I am listening it now, it seems to me is doing is job quite well...:p

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
A simple question: I have a Devialet D Premier, do I have to throw it in the garbage or can I keep it in my system?

What a strange question...

This unit (the one tested) is continuing to do it's job quite well too. Who would suggest you throw yours away?

gianventu

This unit (the one tested) is continuing to do it's job quite well too. Who would suggest you throw yours away?
Just joking.
But, to give my two cents: the Devialet is the best Amp/Dac I have ever had, compared with a lot of jewlery that entered in my home.
Cannot explain that, considering what the meauserements took to the light.
And beleve me, I consider all the audio stuff, simple metal and cables, no more then that, anything different from a TV or a dishwasheri

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a content Devialet user since the D-Premier first came out.
It suits me perfectly though the thing I like best is the rotary volume control on the remote.
I wouldn’t consider a Hi-Fi system without a rotary volume control on its remote.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Cannot explain that, considering what the meauserements took to the light.

Nothing there suggests it wouldn't sound great, unless I missed something.

It suits me perfectly though the thing I like best is the rotary volume control on the remote.

The remote is definitely a highlight.

gianventu

Nothing there suggests it wouldn't sound great, unless I missed something.
But my was not a rhetorical question. I was really wondering how is possible that an amplifier with some of the worst measures ever tested could sound great to my ears. Unless the point is that i own a different model or the one that was tested, had issues.
Or maybe measurements cannot be a definitive parameter to choose an ampli or a speaker, and maybe even a dac.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But my was not a rhetorical question. I was really wondering how is possible that an amplifier with some of the worst measures ever tested could sound great to my ears. Unless the point is that i own a different model or the one that was tested, had issues.
Or maybe measurements cannot be a definitive parameter to choose an ampli or a speaker, and maybe even a dac.

Why would you particularly conflate measurements with audibility? Some people love a bit more distortion, tho....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I was really wondering how is possible that an amplifier with some of the worst measures ever tested could sound great to my ears.

Why would you particularly conflate measurements with audibility? Some people love a bit more distortion, tho..

I think I'm missing something.

B93D9F97-D091-48F0-BE4F-CA980A881AC5.jpeg
5EF22FE4-8002-4639-A149-9201CFB59B70.jpeg

Where is all the horrible distortion?

The unit failed during testing, that doesn't mean it doesn't sound great.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'm missing something.

View attachment 257917View attachment 257918

Where is all the horrible distortion?

The unit failed during testing, that doesn't mean it doesn't sound great.
I didn't even look (assumed that was an issue if measurement based) but that looks just fine, many revered audiophile approved gear doesn't do that well.....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I didn't even look (assumed that was an issue if measurement based) but that looks just fine, many revered audiophile approved gear doesn't do that well.....

Indeed. It doesn't make it into the rankings because of the failure, but the numbers put it in pretty decent company.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. It doesn't make it into the rankings because of the failure, but the numbers put it in pretty decent company.
More from what I see in other fora/groups is that people do definitely rank/assume audibility differences based on SINAD.....

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's also worth noting that resistors and real-world distortion are two different things. Your Devialet may handle your speakers very well, especially if you have a SAM profile.

AMP A measures worse than AMP B for 1 kHz SINAD (miniscule difference), but this is due to noise and AMP B has a higher spike at 60 Hz. (Measured with non-inductive resistor)

1674004020816.png

1674004029412.png

There are also differences between resistor and real loads.
1674004087914.png

1674004092984.png

1674004098594.png

1674004103815.png

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More from what I see in other fora/groups is that people do definitely rank/assume audibility differences based on SINAD.....
I certainly do, but I made it my mission to decide at what level of SINAD an item would be audibly transparent to me personally.
To do that I used some old “hairy arsed” engineering techniques, to use the terminology of a veteran Formula 1 engineer.

What I did was to play music in my listening room at a normal to loud listening level, then lower the level until I could only just hear the music.

Unsurprisingly the audibility of the now barely audible sound was frequency dependant (see fletcher munson) but basically if sound is around 60dB lower in level to my normal listening level I can barely hear it.

Now the “hairy arsed” bit. I reason if I can barely hear it at all, it is pretty unlikely to not credible that I would be able to hear it if I were also listening to music at my normal listening level at the same time.

From this I deduce that for me a distortion level of -60dB (0.1%) is unlikely to be audible, and certainly not obvious.

When there should be silence a hiss or noise level at this loudness would probably be noticed from time to time and be annoying, so I estimate (guess really so maybe not good enough but hey…) -80dB of noise would be a reasonable minimum requirement.

Having “calibrated” myself I can now judge from SINAD results where the measured performance needs to be for me.

It boils down to needing to concentrate on speakers and features/reliability since it is rare for electronics to not be good enough for me ;)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Because there is hardly any energy at 20kHz you wont run into the power issues. That said, you'd expect a product at this price point to live up to its specifications and have proper output across the frequency range.

gianventu

AFAIK I am the only Frank Dernie.
When I travelled the world for work I used to check hotel phone directories for local Dernies and never found any I didn't know of.
Such a pleasure to meet you here.
As a Ferrari supporter, u made me suffer a lot....:D
You have been one of the most significant F1 engineer in the last decades.

Top Bottom