• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet: a few questions

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I agree, with one disclaimer.

IMO, the only issue that I still don't think has been properly addressed by most manufacturers who integrate DSP into the speaker is inter-channel timing.

If an input is being digitally processed by two separate ASRCs and/or by two separate ADC-DSP-DAC chains, there will be some inter-channel timing error. Our ears are extremely sensitive to these errors, with 10 μs for example being audible, even with speakers in-room.

If I were doing a no-holds barred home or studio system, I'd probably still prefer to do this whole part of the process in one place to ensure these inter-channel differences did not occur.

Which is another argument for keeping the processing outside the box.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Can't we just the let the 8C live in its own thread?
Come on , we all love a shoehorn.

There’s a thread I started ages ago on gorilla marketing that perfectly explains this phenomenon , we have a few agents on ASR who have been weaponised in marketing terms . It’s just the nature of the beast .

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Somehow Devialet and Genelec always invade the 8Cs' thread.

I have both a Devialet and the 8Cs, and there's no question which is the superior product.

???

One is a speaker, the other is an all-in-one-amp-DAC-ADC-streamer-phono-stage-Roon-endpoint.

They're not even the same kind of product.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Come on , we all love a shoehorn.

There’s a thread I started ages ago on gorilla marketing that perfectly explains this phenomenon , we have a few agents on ASR who have been weaponised in marketing terms . It’s just the nature of the beast .

The irony, for me, is the more the 8C gets shoved in my face, the less attractive it becomes to me.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had the first iteration of the Devialet here for a month I thought it very capable.
My experience for what it’s worth is that EQing a speaker ‘after the fact’ using variously Trinnov , Dirac, and currently Illusonic does not make up for an inherently ‘better’ loudspeaker.
Keith

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
???

One is a speaker, the other is an all-in-one-amp-DAC-ADC-streamer-phono-stage-Roon-endpoint.

They're not even the same kind of product.

I own both products! The Devialet sounds excellent with passive speakers, probably as good as any amplifier in existence.

I was just making the point that if you want speakers that incorporate Dr. Geddes's ideas, there's only one obvious option now, and it includes amps, DACs, ADCs, streamers, and (soon, we have been promised) a Roon endpoint but, alas, no phono stage.

I was formerly interested in using GedLee speakers with my Devialet. However, they are no longer made, and building a DIY pair is not a serious option for a city dweller.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Do you use the SAM correction for their speakers?

Now that I have subs, I no longer use SAM, per the recommendation of Devialet support (i.e. if high passing the mains, turn off SAM).

Because the pre-outs are needed both to feed the subs and to drive headphones, I have a the pre-outs unaffected by the Mute button and an RCA toggle switch box to allow me to flip between feeding the subs and the headphones.

Super goofy, but it works fine.

Top Bottom