• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Developments in chip technology

Jazz

This is simply a post here to an article about an interesting take on IC technology. What is interesting is how it might impact AV indirectly.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/10/opinion/apple-microprocessor.html
“Apple’s processors feel genuinely new. For better and worse, they will dramatically improve the capabilities of our devices in the next few years. Today’s fastest phones are more powerful than computers from just a few years ago; Andrei Frumusanu, who covered Apple’s new processors for the tech-news site Anandtech, told me that he expects Apple will be able to keep pushing similar gains at least through the next decade.
And other tech companies will spend heavily to catch up. After seeing what Apple has done, Frumusanu said, “everyone’s just freaking out.”

MRC01

Major Contributor
Perhaps this increased processing efficiency will get us filters that can properly handle the narrow transition band of 44.1 k sampling and cut off at Nyquist, instead of stretching the transition band and cutting off at 24.1 k like many do, which is a kludge.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
Jazz

Jazz

I don't think it is going have have any impact unless you are talking about playing movies from phones. Today PC processors are more than capable of playing audio/video.
A horse is fine. Sail boats are fine. Flying like the birds? Insanity I say! :facepalm:
This kind of advancement in processing technology and subsequent competition might (will almost for sure) lead to other advances that, only those with crystal balls can see. :)

JayGilb

Major Contributor
A horse is fine. Sail boats are fine. Flying like the birds? Insanity I say! :facepalm:
This kind of advancement in processing technology and subsequent competition might (will almost for sure) lead to other advances that, only those with crystal balls can see. :)
What is Apples advancement in processing technology ? All I am seeing is increasing the numbers of compute/gpu cores due to smaller technology nodes and reduced power consumption/compute cycle. ie the same advancements we've been seeing for 3+ decades.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The chip market has been headed in that direction for a long time. Apple just decided to put massive resources towards getting to the next rung in the ladder. Now Intel has woken up and is going to "try" to become competitive against TSMC. That will most likely not happen. They will advance of course but TSMC will advance too and they have A LOT more money than Intel to play with. Also, Samsung is not sitting still, anyone who is anybody in making chips is putting the gas pedal to the floor and building new factories to build better chips. In 5 years from now the world will be inundated with extreme performance chips being built by the billions. So, to build out the true ability of 5G and its promises, we need the new chips that will be coming in the next 5 years or so. It is amazing that it is all happening almost on a schedule across the board.

As a wild guess I would say that 1 Nano chips may start to be a hard limit and slow the advances of chips. But that is just a wild guess and I could be totally wrong. Maybe we will see .5 Nano? Who knows?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps this increased processing efficiency will get us
...Apple Music not freezing, or showing it is playing when there is no audio? Oh...probably not...:mad:
But I eagerly await this thing in a MacBook Air with MagSafe!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, to build out the true ability of 5G and its promises, we need
...enough damn towers to avoid dead spots! And COVERAGE! Says the guy who keeps hitting a dead spot on the freeway, and whose mom's house is equidistantly not near any T-Mobile tower and reception sucks. (The Verizon ATT etc neighbors say their service is no better)

sgent

What is Apples advancement in processing technology ? All I am seeing is increasing the numbers of compute/gpu cores due to smaller technology nodes and reduced power consumption/compute cycle. ie the same advancements we've been seeing for 3+ decades.

One big thing is capable integrated GPU's which can be used in an audio sense as an FGPA or in machine learning. Intel's GPU's have historically sucked which meant software couldn't use GPU libraries if they wanted their distribution to be widely applicable. Dirac for instance is already using machine learning in their bass module, and this may allow them to step it up on Macs.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is simply a post here to an article about an interesting take on IC technology. What is interesting is how it might impact AV indirectly.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/10/opinion/apple-microprocessor.html
I put little weight in news paper reporting tech news. They would water it down for "regular folks" and sometimes throw the baby with the water.
What Apple did is repeated its PowerPC success. They replace bloated Intel with slim M1. RISC is inherently better than CISC for processor architectures. Simpler, faster, less heat etc. I'm not sure how processor technology is relevant to audio-forum. DSPs are custom chips and don't need CPU level sophistication.

Top Bottom