• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Development Of The CD, Norio Ogha(Mrs) And Beethoven's Ninth(Furtwangler)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW I have the Furtwangler Beethoven 9th on a double LP bought almost 50 years ago! One of my wife's teachers at the Royal College of Music was a great Furtwangler lover (in more senses than one according to rumour) and she passed her enthusiasm on, so I have many Furtwangler recordings.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'm happy you enjoyed the article.

I liked the human influence meets Hitech story and an insider's view of CD development. :)

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
The compatibility with NTSC and PAL, the dust factor, chip availability, disc size and product finalisation deadline seem to overshadow the digital issues. Luckily the earlier work done for other digital products was applicable in various aspects of the CD technical development. Getting the product to market in the time allowed was a highly commendable co-operative achievement. Shrinking it to Walkman size was another. The Philips and Sony collaboration worked well.

Imagine the affordable DAC that could be produced in similar circumstances.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom