• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speakers with a 32:9 monitor

edahl

I'm looking for desktop speakers, but since I use a super ultrawide, and it's not really possible for me to put the speakers to the right and left of the monitor, they have to be below it. Came across the Vanatoo Transparent Zero, which might be able to fit pretty well, but they don't seem available anywhere I can buy them. Is there something else decent that might fit my use case?
Amazon.com: Vanatoo Transparent Zero Powered Speakers (Black, Set of 2)

For reference, here's my setup. The monitor stand is going away (for a gas arm), so shouldn't get in the way in the future:
1614259827876.png

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Are you saying they won't fit because you don't have lateral desk space? Acoustically there's no issue if you get speakers with good directivity and put them directly on the sides of your monitor. They should be at ear height anyway.

OP
edahl

edahl

Are you saying they won't fit because you don't have lateral desk space? Acoustically there's no issue if you get speakers with good directivity and put them directly on the sides of your monitor. They should be at ear height anyway.
Yeah not enough lateral space, I'm sharing this desk with someone else :)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Maybe get the Genelec 8010A, put them on their sides, and angle them up? Or get speaker mounts and set them in the same position above your monitor, angling them slightly down (the smaller the angle necessary to hit your ears direct, the better). They are only 12cm wide.

The downside of having them on their sides is that the directivity will be narrower in that orientation. Otherwise they are really nice.

OP
edahl

edahl

Maybe get the Genelec 8010A, put them on their sides, and angle them up? Or get speaker mounts and set them in the same position above your monitor, angling them slightly down (the smaller the angle necessary to hit your ears direct, the better). They are only 12cm wide.

The downside of having them on their sides is that the directivity will be narrower in that orientation. Otherwise they are really nice.
That should work really well. You reckon I should tilt them with the tweeter inward?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
edahl

edahl

Yea. It's worth a try.
Even with the speakers I have, it's better than having the tweeters directly behind the monitor. They're a bit too wide to really set it up nicely though.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Even with the speakers I have, it's better than having the tweeters directly behind the monitor. They're a bit too wide to really set it up nicely though.
Why don't you try putting your speakers upside down? Some of the midrange/bass should bend around your monitor. Highs will definitely get blocked though.

OP
edahl

edahl

Why don't you try putting your speakers upside down? Some of the midrange/bass should bend around your monitor. Highs will definitely get blocked though.
Love that idea lol. Not sure which I like better, I'm not used to evaluating speakers, but it seems to do something.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
If you have room behind the monitor, you could perhaps find some floor stands that are roughly the right height and use them on the desk. You'd need to find a means of securing the monitors to the top plate and angling them down though.

OP
edahl

edahl

jonfitch

Seems like wall mounting is your best option, or put them behind your monitors and raise them so they are above the screen.

Putting them in horizontal orientation to keep the tweeter at ear level (or if available, flip the speakers upside down).

Top Bottom