• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speakers upgrade worth the trouble ?

vert

Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm using for my desktop setup a pair of Harman/Kardon satellites that a friend gave me (from this now discontinued set: https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardo...UPH6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1296159202&sr=8-9).

Powered by a Teac amp from some years ago, the A-H300 mkIII.

Processed through an SMSL Sanskrit 10th II, via Foobar2000.

I find the sound quality from those tiny speakers to be quite impressive. Amazing, in fact, for an outlay of exactly zero, as I already had all those components, and Foobar is free. I have no way of measuring anything, but my ears suggest they must have been well designed.

The initial plan was to get a pair of Adam T5Vs for my desk, . Sure, the Adams would no doubt sound amazing. But I generally don't listen to music while working. Any thoughts ? I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble. Any thoughts?

v.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's not much point 'upgrading' if you are happy with what you have and you don't need any new features.

A better investment might be to buy a UMIK-1 microphone, learn how to use REW and apply EQ to your exisiting setup.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You already have an amp - why bother with actives. Just head to the used market (craigslist, etc) and grab a decent set of used Infinity bookshelves (Idealy from the IL (Interlude) family, but beta and primus will be OK) - see if you like that more. You likely won't find them right away, but you can snag them for a song and if you should stumble on IL10s - you'll have a fairly good benchmark to compare to and set yourself on a journey of speaker discovery :) ... Also - you might want to pair that nice dac with a better amp - but that can wait for a loooong time.

Top Bottom