• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speakers under $400 / pair

Lion55

First off, thanks to everyone here for the info on this forum, both the opinions and especially the detailed reviews / measurements. It's been incredibly helpful as I've been researching my options.

I'm looking to get a pair of good speakers for listening to music at my desk, and I'm trying to stay under $400 per pair. They'll be around 2 feet / 0.6 meters away from me, with a wall about 6 inches / 15 cm behind them. I'd like them to be capable of some bass (probably down to 50 or 60 Hz), but I don't need really deep bass since I don't listen to any music that really emphasizes bass. I'd prefer no subwoofer.

After spending hours looking at reviews and discussions here, including the very helpful active speaker recommendations and passive speaker recommendations posts, I think I've narrowed down to these speakers:

Kali LP-6 v2
ADAM T5V
Vanatoo Transparent Zero

It seems like for this price range and using at a desk, most discussions here recommended active speakers, so that's what I've focused on.

One concern I have is hiss. Many active speakers seem to have audible hiss when listening up close, like in my setup. I have also looked at passive speakers and amps, but to stay in the same total price range I would have to get a lower-end amp, and I don't know if a budget amp would still be likely to hiss.

Does anyone have any advice on choosing between the speakers I mentioned above? General sound quality, hiss, or any other factors I should consider? Or, would I be better off going with passive speakers and a budget amp?

Thanks!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
vanatoo’s are tiny compared to the other options

1678088202124.jpeg

I would only consider these if space is an issue. Otherwise, try to demo the other 2 options.

coonmanx

I was looking at getting a small setup for a friend and I came up with this. Just a couple of simple components that would probably sound pretty good...
I know you said that you don't want to use a sub but this amp does have that possibility available.
Or maybe these for the speakers...

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I hate speaker hiss, which is why I stay with passive systems. The little Aiyima A07 amp is great for nearfield use with the standard 32v/5a power brick. The amp can push about 45 wpc for 8 ohm speakers comfortably with low distortion. That amp then opens up a lot of speaker choices for you with improved bass response (particularly if you have room for speaker stands on either side of your desk; I like to get speakers OFF the desk). If you need to add more sources, you can use a full preamp into the Aiyima or a simple button selector. I'm currently using vintage ADS L420s as my nearfield speakers. just for example. I've used the Elac Debut 6.2 speakers in this spot and enjoyed them too.

TSB

I hate speaker hiss, which is why I stay with passive systems. The little Aiyima A07 amp is great for nearfield use with the standard 32v/5a power brick. The amp can push about 45 wpc for 8 ohm speakers comfortably with low distortion. That amp then opens up a lot of speaker choices for you with improved bass response (particularly if you have room for speaker stands on either side of your desk; I like to get speakers OFF the desk). If you need to add more sources, you can use a full preamp into the Aiyima or a simple button selector. I'm currently using vintage ADS L420s as my nearfield speakers. just for example. I've used the Elac Debut 6.2 speakers in this spot and enjoyed them too.
Speaker hiss doesn't have anything to do with passive vs active. It's just sloppy engineering. (Or in the case of PA speakers, it's just not important)

OP
L

Lion55

Thanks for the suggestions, all. A few specific responses:

vanatoo’s are tiny compared to the other options

View attachment 269829
I would only consider these if space is an issue. Otherwise, try to demo the other 2 options.

Hm, good point. I guess I wouldn't mind them being a little smaller, but I do have room for the larger options if they sound better.

And auditioning multiple is a good idea - I know that's very normal but for some reason I was just assuming I would only buy one. Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendations. Given the very low price of the Aiyima A07 I guess I was assuming it might produce hiss but it sounds like it doesn't, and its review does look pretty favorable. You also mentioned the Elacs. Among passive speakers I was considering the Debut 2 B6.2 or B5.2, although I wasn't sure if they were good up close like this. It sounds like they are!

I was also looking at the Wharfedale Diamond 225 or perhaps JBL Stage A130, although I'm not sure if people usually listen to those quite this close either, and I'm not sure how any of these compare to the active speakers in my first post. (Any opinions welcome!)

ozzy9832001

Edifier makes some good solutions in your price range. Not all have sub out connections which may or may not be a deal breaker. If your PC has a sub out connection, doesn't need to be one. Maybe a better option either way.

Digby

Major Contributor
Speaker hiss doesn't have anything to do with passive vs active. It's just sloppy engineering. (Or in the case of PA speakers, it's just not important)
but this is theory vs reality. In reality even some of the best speakers have a degree of hiss that you may perceive in a very quiet environment. Most active speakers are built to be used in a studio environment where other things are making some noise, so few manufacturers try and squeeze the last drop of performance (regarding hiss) out of a loudspeaker.

TSB

but this is theory vs reality. In reality even some of the best speakers have a degree of hiss that you may perceive in a very quiet environment. Most active speakers are built to be used in a studio environment where other things are making some noise, so few manufacturers try and squeeze the last drop of performance (regarding hiss) out of a loudspeaker.
IMO this is outdated. There are now many high quality active speakers designed for home use.

Digby

Major Contributor
IMO this is outdated. There are now many high quality active speakers designed for home use.
I dunno, reports seem to suggest otherwise. In a very quiet room, from about 1 metre of so away, you can hear a genelec 8 series hiss. It isn't a loud hiss, but it is there.

TSB

I dunno, reports seem to suggest otherwise. In a very quiet room, from about 1 metre of so away, you can hear a genelec 8 series hiss. It isn't a loud hiss, but it is there.

I quite unambiguously wrote

There are now many high quality active speakers designed for home use

You then provide an example of a studio monitor with hiss.

That doesn't contradict with I said in any way.

Digby

Major Contributor
You wrote this:

quoting and in reply to my post about hiss from active speakers, what else am I to think it is about?

There are now many high quality active speakers designed for home use.
Then please provide a list of desktop speakers that do not hiss audibly at 1m distance (which was the topic of conversation), it would be very helpful to others.

Top Bottom