• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speakers for my father (music and gaming)

OP
K

Kaerio

I didn't told you anything about not needing sub's with any of those. Sub will be beneficial with all of them. I don't like idea feeding something which input amplifier stage is supposed to be 4V with 1V from desktop computer audio card output, even if it's a proper unbalanced output of 2 V I am still against it aside of adapter cables.
I don't know it depends of available space on the desk then if you can place something like Kali LP 6 V2's on it. And actually again rises question whether would you put subwoofer. As long as you intend to use desktop PC to feed them (which might or might not be a good idea depending if it cause problems or not and if you are satisfied with quality it produces) with multichannel sound card adding a sub properly is not a problem along with getting all the necessary sound processing for free (EQ APO). Again assuming it's a Windows based desktop PC.
Only reason for recommending LP 6 V2's is their sound quality and that they will work good in near field. As no one mentioned already you should also look for Kali MM 6 which are the same as LP-6 V2 with addition of DAC and optical inputs. MM 6's where sold out last time I checked.
Edit:
They definitely can pass without sub with bass extension down to about 35 Hz with front firing port's and in near feald he will feel them. Luckily that's a deep work table.

Ah ok. We can go with the Kali LP 6 V2. No problem to put them on the desk on each side of the screen, there is enought space. But I am lost after your answer for what we need to connect to the computer then. Yes it is a PC with windows 10 and a multichannel sound motherboard.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Kaerio well how did you intend to connect them? I don't see stand alone DAC or audio interface on the table. If it's not getting (EMI) interference from other components the integrated audio card (MB codec) will work just fine. You use standard 3.5 mm to two RCA normal not expensive cable that you can split easy on RCA side.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Kali make a 12" subwoofer, theWS-12, with balanced outputs for the left and right channels (I believe).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Kaerio no, the main thing is that it have separate cable's all the way down to 3.5 mm jack inside of the Y spliter. So that you can pool (in separate direction while holding for cables next to RCA connectors) and separate them (easily) to the length you need.
For example (just old basic ones I found first):
DSC_0655.JPG

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Kali make a 12" subwoofer, theWS-12, with balanced outputs for the left and right channels (I believe).
A topping D10 Balanced DAC may prove helpful.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
See the prices for Polk or Elac locally.
You connect it same as active mains to LFE input on sub with red right RCA cable leaving other RCA plug (central chanel) unused. You can switch chenels in control panel if you for some reason need to (and map them if you need mic input differently). You can do all PEQ filters including high/low pass menagement, plugins and such with EQ APO.
Prety much anything you need.

coonmanx

Honestly you could go a couple of different ways.

I use Labtec powered speakers. They are a 2.1 system with a small sub and two speakers. Not going to be the lowest bass ever but it is sufficient for my late night listening when I am on the computer. Something like this...

Or you could get a small 2.1 amp like this and then add your choice of passive speakers and a passive sub...

TimW

Major Contributor
There are desktop studio monitor stands which clamp to the desk, but I don't know of any that secure the speakers. You would have to use some sort of adhesive for that such as blu-tack or velcro. With a standard studio monitor speaker you will want an interface if you want a physical volume control. You could get something that gives you a subwoofer crossover as well but those are rare. Studio monitor brands also make subwoofers with crossovers built in for this purpose.

There are also consumer style powered speakers which have digital inputs and volume knobs built in. Those usually have BT built in as well though.

Where are you located?

Zapper

If you are considering the Genelec 8010As, there is another version of them called the G Ones. These are intended for home use instead of pro studio use and they have an RCA input instead of XLR. This would be a better choice if you drive it from a PC. Sonically they are exactly the same as the 8010As (same drivers, same amp, same case). The only other difference is a different choice of colors and the LED is white on the G One, green on the 8010a.

The 8010a/G One are the most accurate speaker that has been discussed so far, the smallest, and the ones most in need of a subwoofer.

Zapper

So a simple cable like this ? : https://www.thomann.de/fr/sommer_ca...STkvQxz6CklRfuw3yWKQPoPz3Vtuaj3xoCVDAQAvD_BwE

But for the subwoofer, what would you advice to stay in budget, and what can we use to connect it ?
If you go for one of the bigger speakers like the Kali LP6v2 or the JBL 306p, then I would advise against a subwoofer. At least try them first without one. A 10x10 room with hard surfaces will boom mightily. You may have to reduce the bass as it is.

Unless the system is designed with a dedicated subwoofer in mind, like the Genelecs with their extremely expensive subwoofers, it can be hard to match the speakers with the subwoofers, especially in a small room.

OP
K

Kaerio

@TimW I live in France.

@Zapper That's great if we can try without a subwoofer cause all the option discussed + a subwoofer of same quality would be way over our max budget.
I have find a shop that have the Kali LPV6v2 and that accept return if not satisfy. So I will try the Kali that are perfectly in lower budget and seems to have also the lowest frequency response.
It also let us money for desktop stand and a DAC if we would need one.

I want to say thanks to you all guys. You are very great and helpfull !

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Whose thinking about table top fixed mounting with wall brocket. Take this with grain of salt as I don't know is a support mounting plate VESA compatible (would be strange that it is not but anything is possible).
Adapter plate:
And instead wall mont part a table monitor stands like this:
Nothing with a neck and with high mah sustainable wight (this are 35 Kg declared but I don't trust that much).

Top Bottom