• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speakers for my father (music and gaming)

Kaerio

Hi, could you help me to find speakers for my father computer, with also an amp or interface ? He had a old logitech Z5500 used in 2.1 but they now don't work anymore, so he has these crappy speakers for now, see picture below.

The two speakers would be on the desk on each side of the monitor, see picture below. The speakers would be used, for youtube music, flac and wav music on his computer, and for gaming (yeah my father play CoD :cool: , but not well lol ).
So the sound must be good for the average user on most usage, I mean nothing that sound good only with the top quality material and shit on youtube as he listen to youtube music a lot too.
The room is small, 10x10 Ft (= 3x3 meters).
The budget for speakers + amp or interface (depending if power amplified or not) + cables would be between 400 and 600 euros max.

WHat would be nice would be the possibility to add a little subwoofer if needed later.

I would buy him desktop stands that would secure the speakers so they don't fall, considering the small space and that he move around. Please let me know if you know this kind of stand that can be attached to the desk and place speaker at ear level.

Any other advice that would come your mind is welcome obviously.

Here is a picture of his desk :

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Speakers I'd look into:
-iLoud Micro
-Kali IN-UNF
-Genelec 8010A

Also please get your father a proper mouse pad :p
And make sure that "Enhance pointer precision" is turned off in the Windows settings :D
hxvpfgtu6hcz.png

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaerio

Hi, thanks for your answer. I have check the 3 and would be interested in the iLoud Micro.
Do you know if it would be possible to add a subwoofer later if needed to them ? I have little knowledge to all these equipment to connect them to pc.

Lol, my father has a good mousepad. Maybe it didn't render well in picture :)

OP
K

Kaerio

Ah, I see we can't turn off bluetooth on the Iloud micro, so I have to search something else.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure why Bluetooth disablement is an issue, but I will make an unconventional recommendation: how about a portable speaker?

I have been really impressed with the sound quality of the Bose SoundLink Mini II. A friend of mine who is a consultant uses one when he does client presentations. I was floored by what this small speaker can do in a sizable room. It has a phono plug input that can hardwire it to the computer while taking up little desk space.

Not recommended if you need low frequency rumble, but much better than your incumbent for music audio quality.

OP
K

Kaerio

Thanks but we don't want bluetooth and the sound quality need to be stereo and a bit good.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you know if it would be possible to add a subwoofer later if needed to them ?
Yes.

Ah, I see we can't turn off bluetooth on the Iloud micro, so I have to search something else.
If I understand the manual correctly, then you have to manually put the iLoud into pairing mode for it to even connect to stuff.
So as long as no one touches the BT pairing button on the back of the speaker, the iLoud should remain undiscoverable via BT and should not cause any issues.

soundtrane

Dealer
Genelec 8010A

I have the earlier version (6010A) of these (in a small pelican case) that i used to take everywhere with me when i was working as a sound mixer on films. bought them in 2011. I still have them and they are really amazing. Of course, low end is what it is, and one can add a sub from Genelec if required.

I highly recommend these, buy once and enjoy for a long long time.

cheers,
-vin

OP
K

Kaerio

The genelc seems good obviously, but the price is already max range, and I suppose it needs other material to conenct them to pc. Also subwoofer from genelec are way too much expensive for us as I see.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 on the Genelec 8010A. Worth seeing if you can find them on sale somewhere versus going with something lesser. Would need to get an inexpensive RCA to balanced adapter plug.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Kali LP 6 V2 with normal flor stands and put behind the desk and you have enough money left for some 10" budget subwoofer (didn't include stands in the price).

OP
K

Kaerio

Kali LP 6 V2 with normal flor stands and put behind the desk and you have enough money left for some 10" budget subwoofer (didn't include stands in the price).
Ah, the floor stand will not be possible. My father go behind the desk often in the shelf, and this is too risky as the space is very close (100% sure he will do them fall lol :eek:)

I am interested in the JBL 306P and the Genelec 8010A, considering you told we don't need subwoofer with these. We would discuss budget ourself to choose...

Could you tell me if there is no risk of interference if we use RCA to balanced adapter plug ? I am also not sure about the sound quality of his motherboard. I see some people advising a interface like a focusrite if I understand well ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am interested in the JBL 306P and the Genelec 8010A, considering you told we don't need subwoofer with these.
The 8010A will definitely sound a bit light without subwoofer, as it only plays down to about 80Hz:
Genelec 8010A Studio Monitor Powered Speaker Spinorama CEA2034 Frequency Response Measurements.png
Link

The iLoud plays deeper at about 55Hz:
Screenshot_20230411-190549_Chrome.png

OP
K

Kaerio

Ah thanks, we will go for the JBL then as we don't want bluetooth.

But I see others as the iLoud MTMs, and they have a calibration system.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ah thanks, we will go for the JBL then as we don't want bluetooth.
Did you see my response above?
According to the user manual, you have to manually enable Bluetooth on the iLoud before it can even be discovered by other devices, so it seems to be strictly "opt-in".
Are you sure that it's still a problem?

You could tape off the Pairing button on the back, and for all intents and purposes, that'll make the iLoud strictly analog in.
Screenshot_20230411-191414_Drive.png

Last edited:

notsodeadlizard

Oh my, you will be undressed here :)

Buy a simple micro system with a built-in DAС and with a DAB, to listen to StuBru ;)
Something like Panasonic Micro Chain DAB SC-PMX92EG-S (250 euros at amazon.be).
I assure you everyone will be happy.
Dat klopt!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ah, the floor stand will not be possible. My father go behind the desk often in the shelf, and this is too risky as the space is very close (100% sure he will do them fall lol :eek:)

I am interested in the JBL 306P and the Genelec 8010A, considering you told we don't need subwoofer with these. We would discuss budget ourself to choose...

Could you tell me if there is no risk of interference if we use RCA to balanced adapter plug ? I am also not sure about the sound quality of his motherboard. I see some people advising a interface like a focusrite if I understand well ?
I didn't told you anything about not needing sub's with any of those. Sub will be beneficial with all of them. I don't like idea feeding something which input amplifier stage is supposed to be 4V with 1V from desktop computer audio card output, even if it's a proper unbalanced output of 2 V I am still against it aside of adapter cables.
I don't know it depends of available space on the desk then if you can place something like Kali LP 6 V2's on it. And actually again rises question whether would you put subwoofer. As long as you intend to use desktop PC to feed them (which might or might not be a good idea depending if it cause problems or not and if you are satisfied with quality it produces) with multichannel sound card adding a sub properly is not a problem along with getting all the necessary sound processing for free (EQ APO). Again assuming it's a Windows based desktop PC.
Only reason for recommending LP 6 V2's is their sound quality and that they will work good in near field. As no one mentioned already you should also look for Kali MM 6 which are the same as LP-6 V2 with addition of DAC and optical inputs. MM 6's where sold out last time I checked.
Edit:
They definitely can pass without sub with bass extension down to about 35 Hz with front firing port's and in near feald he will feel them. Luckily that's a deep work table.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaerio

Did you see my response above?
According to the user manual, you have to manually enable Bluetooth on the iLoud before it can even be discovered by other devices, so it seems to be strictly "opt-in".
Are you sure that it's still a problem?

You could tape off the Pairing button on the back, and for all intents and purposes, that'll make the iLoud strictly analog in.
View attachment 278643
I have see a post on internet saying it's always ON. It poses problem to someone. I am sorry but we don't like device with bluetooth always ON.

Top Bottom