• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speakers for listening to trance/hiphop

mikicf

Hi. I am looking for a desktop speakers/monitors to replace my Pioneer S-DJ60X. They have been a great companion but I feel like it's time to upgrade.
I need speakers for music (trance, hiphop) and ocasionally movies/games. I had JBL LSR305 for a moment and they were to clinical. Piooner's on the other hand are fun and I can listen to them for hours.
Speakers are at my eye level. I have stands on the desk. I sit ~1 meter from the speakers.

I know that Pioneer released VM series but I didn't see any opinions on them. These speakers cought my eye:
- Tannoy Gold 7 (379 Euro),
- Adam V7X (350 Euro),
- KRK 7 Gen 4 ( 379 Euro)

500 Euro is the maximum I can spend on speakers. Please tell me if the ones mentioned would be good for listening pleasures or should I look for something different.

MeZoX

to really enjoy these kind of music you need to invest in a subwoofer , monitors alone aren't going to do it even if you get the 8 inch ones

since you are on a low budget and doing nearfield listening , then I advice you to get a studio subwoofer , since it wall have an integrated HPF

for the monitors you can get the Kali-LP6

and for the subwoofer you can find the old generation KRK 10S2 that sells for discount at about 300 usd now , also their is the JBL LSR 10 and the Presonus T10

OP
M

mikicf

I saw on discount Kali-LP6's for 320 Euro. This would leave me enough budget for the subwoofer.
Would there be a significant difference in sound between e.g. Adam T7V and T5V if I were to buy the subwoofer? The 5 inches would look better in my room.

MeZoX

smaller studio monitors would be preferable tbh since you are using them at a desk , since all active monitors have a hiss , the bigger ones you would need more distance from them for the hiss to become non audible

the Kali LP6 performs very well for the price

OP
M

mikicf

Thank you. Would you suggest anything else? In my country Adam T7V at MSRP are at exactly the same price as Kali LP6. Unfortunatelly there is no longer a discount for Kali's. I can only buy used for ~230 Euro.
I am thinking about something smaller like T5V or Tannoy Gold 5.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I previously used krk g4 Rokit 7’s with a krk 10s sub, the KRK Rokit 7’s on their own give enough low end for a desk top system but the sub really gives them a massive boost, Rokit 7’s have a slight hiss that is noti when seated 80cm away but totally fine when playing music, their eq settings are very convenient to use. Where are based?, I’m in Scotland and selling my year old krk setup as I’ve bought dynaudio Lyd 48 & 18s sub.

MeZoX

I previously used krk g4 Rokit 7’s with a krk 10s sub, the KRK Rokit 7’s on their own give enough low end for a desk top system but the sub really gives them a massive boost, Rokit 7’s have a slight hiss that is noti when seated 80cm away but totally fine when playing music, their eq settings are very convenient to use. Where are based?, I’m in Scotland and selling my year old krk setup as I’ve bought dynaudio Lyd 48 & 18s sub.
Its a well integrated system with the sub , gives a very good result without a need for external crossover hardware , I have the same but with the 8’’ and the 10s2 sub

OP
M

mikicf

If the hiss is not noticable at ~80cm then there is no problem. I think I am going to order Kali and KRK. I did read more about them and I would like to try them. If the bass is not satisfying then I will buy a subwoofer.
I am in central Europe and I can browse in Germany/France/Poland etc for speakers. Some international stores have great shipping prices.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For under 500 eur/pair:
Kali LP-6v2 for 460 eur/pair from thomann (white, black).

Don't get the LP-6v1's since they have higher hiss and less neutral than v2's.
Here's a comparison:

ezgif-5-c441ec1efb.gif

Alternatively, Adam T5V would be my 2nd pick.

For subs, I recommend 10" or 12" studio subs, nothing below that, since frequency extension and output is very much limited due to smaller woofer.

MeZoX

If the hiss is not noticable at ~80cm then there is no problem. I think I am going to order Kali and KRK. I did read more about them and I would like to try them. If the bass is not satisfying then I will buy a subwoofer.
I am in central Europe and I can browse in Germany/France/Poland etc for speakers. Some international stores have great shipping prices.
You will need the subwoofer, specially for those genres , try to allocate it in your budget , for best music experience you should have a sloping down frequency response from atleast 30Hz , you wont be able to do that with monitors alone , without the sub you will find yourself increasing the volume of the monitors too much to get a sense of the sub bass frequencies which may cause you ear fatigue and the same feeling you got with your past JBL’s

OP
M

mikicf

You will need the subwoofer, specially for those genres , try to allocate it in your budget , for best music experience you should have a sloping down frequency response from atleast 30Hz , you wont be able to do that with monitors alone , without the sub you will find yourself increasing the volume of the monitors too much to get a sense of the sub bass frequencies which may cause you ear fatigue and the same feeling you got with your past JBL’s
This tells me to get a subwoofer. I can't have the lower frequencies now and I don't hear a lot of bass. This is something that is lacking right now.
I will buy used Adam's at ~200 Euro with 4 year warranty and spend the rest on subwoofer. I can only find RP7 G4 and Kali for more than 400 Euro, even used.

MeZoX

bigger monitors wont replace your need for a subwoofer for music enjoyment , they can be useful for someone who mixes music as he can get a sense of sub bass frequencies , but not for music enjoyment

MeZoX

you still Have your JBL's ? if you do you dont really need to replace them , just add a subwoofer

3125b

Major Contributor
If you are generally happy with your Pioneed monitors just keep those and add a sub.
There are many studio subs under 500€. Wich one is best - I have no idea. Manufacturers FR claims are not at all comparable there.
Here's a list of 10" models around 400€:
- KRK S10G4
- JBL LSR 310 S
- Adam T10S
- Fluid Audio FC10S
- Mackie MRS 10
- Presonus Temblor T10
- RCF Arya Pro10 Sub
They vary in construction, features and power.

OP
M

mikicf

Thanks. I did hear today Tannoy Gold 7. They are definately an improvement in all aspects. My Pioneer's are muffled compared to them and lack the clarity.
By default there is a lack of bass but a little modification in the EQ changed it. After this, they are very good but obviously don't go as low as a subwoofer.

I didn't like the JBL sound. It was too clinical. I don't mix and I don't make music. I only listen to it.

Is there a difference in sound Adam T5V vs T7V? They only have 25 Euro price difference when used. It's the only option for me to buy them used (200 Euro)+ subwoofer at ~300 Euro.

Top Bottom