• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

desktop speakers <300usd

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for the help

I purchased the edifier 1700BT. 1 inch deeper than the 1280, but has better bass extension (60Hz@+/-6db as compared to 75HZ@+/-9db).

Will run some measurements when I get them and share.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
First measurement based on 3 measurements. The setup is near field (~1m from the speakers). Below 200Hz of course its all my room. Also, I have turned down the treble a bit (it's at 10'o clock instead of 12) which will have some impact.

Initial observation

1. The range between 600Hz to 3k is a bit low. This comes across as vocal fading a bit into the background. I guess Edifier went for the exciting V shape instead of flat.
2. DSP is definitely being used to chop off bass below 55Hz to prevent distortion. I guess this is why Amir did not find the speaker distorting with his 'bass killers' - there was nothing to kill :).
3. Around 1.8k, 3rd and 5th harmonic distortion pick up significantly, and run higher than all other harmonics. Perceptually I guess this would come across as treble harshness, but I had turned down the treble even before the measurements so I haven't noticed any ear fatigue.

With some basic EQ using REW, the speakers are good enough in nearfield, especially for $150. I've been running it pretty much non-stop and not experiencing any fatigue, probably because I rolled off the treble.

Will post the EQed FR tomorrow.

Attachments

• edifier1700btfq.png
    edifier1700btfq.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 187
  • edifier1700btdistortion.png
    edifier1700btdistortion.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Top Bottom