• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop Speakers ~$2000 (Active & Silent)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If truly at desktop distance point source is a must imho. I had Focal Solo 6Be for desktop use and they were great. However turn your head slightly and comb filtering effects are clearly audible. The tonality changes dramatically with small head turns.

LSX2 would be my choice. Easy to order on Amazon and just as easy to return if you don’t like them. I returned them (LSX at the time) but to get the LS50w. I kind of liked the LSX better in some ways.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bengineer

Almost ordered this then that. Then was offered a good deal on the new LSX 2, so did exactly that. Unheard but I liked the LS50W II when I had them, so hopefully similar.

Mal

What if I go passive for say $1000? What works really well nearfield for that money?
I think KEF LSX are going to be difficult to beat!

I'm using KEF LSX nearfield for my main TV watching & Music listening. I'm experimenting with Wharfedale 9.0 speakers as a passive solution for my computer speakers & backup if the LSX's blow up. They are exactly the same size as KEF LSX, but the sound is nowhere near as good with a $30 nobsound dac/amp. Improves somewhat with a Topping D10S DAC, and I'm awaiting an Aiyima 07 amp, to ditch the nobsound completely, & hoping for another bump in quality. Will it match LSX? I doubt it! But maybe... and it's fun mixing & matching & hearing what happens...

SeanTek

Almost ordered this then that. Then was offered a good deal on the new LSX 2, so did exactly that. Unheard but I liked the LS50W II when I had them, so hopefully similar.
How did you end up liking the LSX II, and what about the idle hiss (or lack thereof)?

Heat11

what and when was the "good deal" exactly?

I am shocked and amazed to see someone complain of hiss on KH120

Ashimaru

I've never heard hiss from my iLoud MTMs and they have amazing bass extension at lower volumes. I am in Canada so I am running them at 120V. They do have grounded power plugs so if you want to use 3.5mm Y cable to 1/4" you need to have ground isolator. I use an Apple dongle dac ($10) + ADUM4160 ($15) ground isolator. Works great.
Hi, can the Adum4160 drive an Apple dongle without an additional power supply?

Top Bottom